Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is proud to announce a series of events as part of National Heritage Week, designed to celebrate and explore the rich cultural heritage of the local area.
From heritage tours to captivating talks and engaging family activities, this year’s program offers something for everyone. It is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the history and stories that have shaped the vibrant community.
Some highlights are:
A specialised talk by John Martin on ‘Dalkey’s Taverns and Small Hotels in the 19th & 20th Centuries’, on August 17th at 7:30pm. John’s “My Historic Towns Atlas of Dungarvan” was published by the Royal Irish Academy (RIA) in 2020. He is currently researching the history of Dalkey with a view to publication.
The Dunleary Lifeboat history talk with Cormac Lowth, Maritime Historian on August 16th at 7:30pm. He will give an enlightening talk about the history of the 104 year old Dunleary lifeboat, the restoration project, and the heritage of lifeboats in Dun Laoghaire harbour.
Monkstown Village Tree Trail – Guided Walk on August 16th at 7:30pm. Monkstown Village Tidy District group have set up a Tree Trail, a self-guided loop walk which brings you past forty different species – most of the native Irish trees, many of the main introduced species, and some specimen or unusual trees. The trail is set out in an attractive leaflet with information on each of the species.
Other events include:
Family activities in the UCD Classical Museum and an invitation to hear and try bell-ringing at Christ Church Taney
Heritage tours of:
- Glencullen, Shankill, Dundrum, Blackrock, Dún Laoghaire town, and Dún Laoghaire harbour
- Fernhill, the Metals, Booterstown, and the Rathdown Union Workhouse in Loughlinstown
- Old Conna graveyard and the Dunleary lifeboat restoration project
- Marlay and Cabinteely Houses
- St. Andrew’s Church in Blackrock, the Oratory, the Quaker burial ground, Barnaslingan, and Carrickgollogan
- Deansgrange Cemetery, tours of Dún Laoghaire Anseo Street, and the trees of Monkstown
- Self-guided tours and treasure hunts at Monkstown Parish Church
You can find out more, make bookings and search for events in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown at: https://www.heritageweek.ie/event-listings
- Get a glowing look with celebrity favourite JCat’s ‘SkinSurance’ Foundation!
- RSA warning following heavy rainfall and winds: slow down!
- WINNERS OF YOUNG CHEF YOUNG WAITER AWARDS AT EVENT IN TITANIC BELFAST
- Revised LRD application for 1020 homes and nature park in Donabate
- Dáil abuse and verbal attacks intolerable and intimidating with 13 arrests made