At a loose end as to what to do to entertain the kids this summer?
Feeling guilty because it has been a tough 12 months?
You’re maybe strapped for cash yet you want your kids to have a fun holiday?
Are you working from home and the kids are under your feet and you can’t make everyday a day trip?
Our libraries are open with a range of free services so how about getting your kids involved in the Summer Stars National Reading Adventure 20201?
As Dr. Seuss says “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
This is a reading programme for children that runs from the 14th of June until the end of August. Children are invited to join the adventure and to enjoy the fun and pleasure of reading and writing over the summer.
Summer Stars is non-competitive and every child who reads even one book/ebook will have completed the programme – and it’s all completely free!
- Summer Stars BorrowBox: Browse, borrow, read and listen to the Summer Stars collection of children’s e-books and e-audio books through the library’s BorrowBox app. This is free for all members to use from anywhere, anytime. Non-members can join online for free at https://www.librariesireland.ie/join-your-library.
- Online Storytime: Summer Stars storytime will be delivered by library staff, available through your local library social media pages.
- There will be free online events including creative workshops and author visits. See www.dublincitylibraries.ie
- Story Competition: As well an enjoying the amazing worlds of books, Summer Stars is also celebrating children’s imaginations by running a short story competition. There are three age categories with great prizes for all the winners and runners-up, use this link https://bit.ly/3z2NiGr to enter.
- Books: Dublin City Libraries are now open so stock up on your summer reads and register for Summer Stars!
- Online Quizzes: Check out your local library service, social media and website for upcoming Summer Stars events and activities at https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/libraries/find-library and https://bit.ly/3vTm0R1