As we all face into yet more weird times, there’s never been a better excuse for a boxset, right? I’ve watched far too many, without doubt, but there’s something to be said for guilty pleasures.
Here are a few little tips I’ve picked up along the way…
- All4, the little heralded Channel 4 app, has access to a huge array of TV boxsets and even some movies in Ireland for free. If you haven’t seen the West Wing, now is the perfect time, for example… Dig in.
- TV plug in devices like the Chromecast are great value. If you’re going to be watching a lot of TV, better it’s not on mobiles or tablets, right?
- Sky Cinema, which can be picked up for less than €10 a month on NowTV, has literally thousands of films suitable for anyone, and you don’t need a subscription. Cheaper than a cinema ticket, and lots of new stuff.
- Amazon Prime has Premier League football in limited volumes, which can be a nice compromise next to jam-packed Sky Sports.
- Into artsy type movies? Mubi is the answer, a curated service that can be grabbed on the extremely cheap if you look out for deals.
- Disney Plus is the single most addictive thing for small children you’re ever likely to find. Should the schools close, find the cash…
- Struggling with buffering? A lot of things can be downloaded in advance, and then viewed buffer free later in the day.
- Most (but not all) streaming services have sign up discount codes going most of the time. Google them, you’ll save a chunk.
- Headphones are your friend – especially in a busy house.
- One of the main benefits of streaming is the ability to cancel fees at any point. You can even deactivate immediately after paying, get the rest of the month, and then resign up with a break. If you’re using several services, you can save a fortune