Tower’s reach promotion play-offs

by Gazette Reporter

ROUND Tower’s senior footballers showed no championship final hangover as they defeated Skerries Harps 1-12 to 0-9 to earn them a place in the AFL2 promotion playoffs last Sunday in Skerries.

This was a comprehensive away win in an important fixture between two sides still in the hunt, going into the final game of the regular season two places apart; Tower’s in fifth and Skerries in seventh.
By the game’s end, Caimin Keane’s charges were fourth and confirmed in the play-offs, with their opposition to be confirmed.
Any thoughts that the Clondalkin club may have had lingering worries following their senior B championship final defeat to St Maur’s six days earlier were quickly banished as they tore into a 1-4 to no score lead, Eric Finn the goal scorer with a powerful strike from distance.
Skerries struggled to mount any meaningful attacks and move inside the Tower’s 40.
On a rare occasion they did, Mark Gahan intercepted and the ball was worked upfield to Walsh, who slipped it to Corrigan and he kicked between the posts.
Gahan then won a 50-50 in a tight space and Liam Connolly supported and released Finn to carry into forwards. He found Hallows with a direct ball inside and he collected and struck a pass across the 21 that led to Corrigan pointing again.
With two minutes in the half remaining Skerries struck their opening score with a free from 30m out.
Tower’s dominance continued in the opening minutes of second half, with Lanigan kicking a 45 and Brian Costello starting and finishing an excellent move up the left.
It left the game at 1-9 to 0-1. Any hopes Harps had of reeling Tower’s in were effectively quashed but they showed great character to respond, with complacency also sneaking into the Clondalkin club’s play.
Skerries kicked six without reply before a superb switch pass across field by Walsh enabled Ian Ward to kick an excellent point from distance.
A Murray interception in the middle resulted in a long ball to Corrigan and he was hauled to the ground and then pointed the subsequent free.
An incisive pass inside by Taylor resulted in Walsh being pushed to the ground and again Corrigan punished. Skerries struck another two but the game petered out and the long-journey to Skerries proved worthwhile for the visitors.

Related Articles