Maguire’s star continues to rise

by Stephen Findlater
0 comment

NEILSTOWN man David Maguire continued his perfect start to his professional boxing career with a second round stoppage of Paul Morris last Saturday night as part of the undercard of the Return of the Mack event at the 3Arena.

Despite being 37-years-old, Maguire made his debut in February and, with this success over the much travelled Englishman, he moves his record on to three wins from three.

The Viking, boxing out of the Macklin gym in Marbella, landed a couple of decent body shots in the early phases of a quiet first round before ramping up the pressure with two blows to the head late on.

He subsequently took on a more aggressive stance in the second round while Morris threw some loose efforts.

Once he wobbled off the back of a big right hand, Maguire went in for the kill, caught him on the ropes and despite limp attempts to hold on, Maguire eased to the win.

Fellow Clondalkin man Ian Tims, however, had a rough night as he was forced to retire in the opening round due to a snapped ankle that scuppered his bout with Paul Drago – a late replacement for the injured Michael Sweeney.

It ended their bout with three seconds left of the first round, continuing Tims’ run of bad luck in recent times.

He only returned to the ring in September after a two year hiatus and the 34-year-old suggested in the aftermath of the Drago bout that he was set to call time on his career, saying he was “sick of injuries; it’s time to call it a day”.

Among the most impressive fighters on the night was “Cool Hand” Luke Keeler who extended his run to seven wins in succession with a first round stoppage over England’s Gary Boulden.

The Ballyfermot man wasted little time, wriggling out of two grabs at close range with particularly damaging right hands.
From there, Boulden didn’t look like he had the heart for it and a volley in front of the blue corner soon saw the end of this one in 2.17 minutes.

Tallaght native Patrick Hyland got the better of Romanian Oszkar Fiko on points in a slightly trickier than anticipated eight-rounder.

It was his first fight on home soil for three years but he was glad to get a decent contest in having prepared for John Simpson who pulled out late in the day.

Related Articles