Lucan Games side wins Dublin Cup

by Gazette Reporter

Lucan Community Games’ Under-12 soccer side were celebrating last week after they secured the Dublin Cup at Westmanstown against Knocklyon.

The side which secured the title were one of the two teams which the Community Games organisers in the local area were able to bring together after their initial trials for the team saw approximately 80 boys in attendance, again at Westmanstown.

When it was clear that there was a lot of talent on offer, it was decided to have two teams involved in the competition, and the red and blue teams were created to allow more local soccer fans the opportunity to line out and represent their community.

The two teams were made up of players who also line out for Esker Celtic, Lucan United, Beech Park, Cherry Orchard, Home Farm and Crumlin United.

The teams trained together in the run up to the Dublin finals and played a number of friendly matches in preparation.

The blue team played current All-Ireland champions Knocklyon in the semi-final of the Dublin Cup, and despite putting up a good performance against a strong opponent, were beaten 3-0.

In the second semi-final, Lucan’s red team played Marino Fairview at Westmanstown, and the result was a convincing win for Lucan with James Harold, Jack Cunningham, Reece McCormack and Adam Wells all playing well.

In the third/fourth place play-off, Lucan were ahead 1-0 at half time against Marino, but their opponents battled back to score two late goals to win the game.

The Dublin final was played between Lucan Red and Knocklyon, and the match saw a tense opening 10 minutes with both teams having chances.

Lucan took the lead when Kyle Robinson scored from close range before scoring a second from James Harold five minutes later. With 10 minutes to go until half time, Sean Whelan scored from 25 yards out.

However, Knocklyon came out strongly in the second half and pulled back two goals for a very tense finish. James Harold settled the tie when he beat the offside trap and got Lucan’s fourth and his second to win the Dublin final for Lucan for the second time in three years.

The team now get a bye in the first round of Leinster and will play Kildare Celbridge in the second round of the provincial championship.

The team is coached and managed by Dermot Wells, Paul Webb and Alan Doyle.

Related Articles