Fins raising the bar

by Karl Graham

FINGALLIANS’ dream run in the Leinster intermediate club championship came to a dramatic end after they lost 1-11 to 1-13 after extra time to a strong Rosemount side at Lawless Park.
Nonetheless, the day will live long in the memory for the club as they hosted one of the biggest days in the club’s history.
Club Vice Chairman Brendan McGrath spoke to GazetteSport about the team’s performance and how the club came together to support them.
“Obviously the team and the supporters are very disappointed. We’d had a very good season by winning the county final. This was bonus territory for us and the team put in a great effort on the day but, unfortunately, we were beaten by the better team.
“What we want to do is build on this. We’ve got a young team so the players that we have will be there for the next five or six years.
The club made a day of it with the Under-8s from both clubs playing each other in half-time mini-matches while there was food and entertainment on offer for all of the large crowd in attendance.
“There were well over 1,100 people in attendance so it was a great day for the club and a great day for members,” said McGrath.
As for the game itself, the opening five minutes saw both teams register a single point before Rosemount struck a goal and a point over the following four minutes.
Fingallians responded with two frees from the boot of Oisin Lynch but Rosemount hit back with two points of their own.
With the first half drawing to a close they put another point between the sticks before Lynch registered a third free in a disappointing first half for Fingallians.
The home side started the second half brightly by scoring the first two points, another one coming from a Lynch free.
Rosemount responded with the next two points before Lynch scored once again from two frees.
Lynch’s scoring dominance was briefly halted as substitute Ciaran Murtagh weighed in with a point of his own to leave the score at 1-7 to 0-8 with four minutes remaining.
Rosemount looked to have secured the win as they pointed again during the dying embers of the game, until that man Lynch popped up yet again to fire the ball into the back of the net and take the game to extra time.
He scored another free in response to a point from Rosemount but three unanswered scores from the visitors left them with a lot to do.
The opening minutes of the second period of extra time saw both sides score a single point, Fingallians’ score, of course, coming from a Lynch free.
As the game drew to a close Lynch scored his ninth free of the game but, despite his best efforts, it wasn’t to be for Fingallians.
Fingallians’ season is not over yet with their next game coming in the league playoff against Naomh Fhionnbarra at Lawless Park on November 26.

Related Articles