Corcoran’s cool free gives ’Knock draw

by Stephen Findlater

CONOR Corcoran’s last-gasp free earned Castleknock a valuable share of the spoils, a result that puts a dent in St Sylvester’s promotion hopes.

It came at the end of a frenetic tie at Somerton where three goals in the closing 10 minutes saw both sides push for a lively win on a cracking mid-summer evening.

The hosts had led for the majority of the tie off the back of Brian Hughes’ 15th minute goal. But a pair of goals from Fingal representative Martin Ormonde – en route to 2-5 – powered the Malahide men into the lead with time running out.

But a fortuitous Declan Curran goal and Corcoran’s point eventually helped tie things up in dramatic style.

Syl’s will rue a tally of 17 wides, and they could not build on strong performances from O’Flynn brothers Killian and Kevin as well as half-back Enda O’Flaherty.

For Castleknock, most of their best work came through the efforts of Cian O’Dualaigh and Jamie Tunney in the half-forward lines.

From the former’s free, he used the sun to good effect, slinging in low to where Curran was lurking and he was able to shovel a dropped ball across goal for Hughes to score.

It put four points between the sides and bar David Casey’s nicely taken turn and score, Syl’s were struggling for fluidity as Castleknock defended feverishly.

Ormonde’s trio of frees kept them in touch, though, at half-time – 1-6 to 0-6. They could have got in front in the 39th minute, only for Stephen Keogh to blaze over from Kevin O’Flynn’s excellent run.

Another Keogh point and two from Ormonde preluded a lucky first Syl’s goal, a lengthy free bouncing awkwardly and straight into the goal.

Corcoran almost did likewise to swap the lead back from distance, Curran this time poking home to give Castleknock the advantage.

Ormonde, though, applied a brilliant first time touch to Barry Kiely’s sweet pass to give Syl’s a narrow one-point advantage with a minute to go.

But it was in vain as a late free scuppered their hopes.

Related Articles