Bus strikes cost retail group €2.5m per day

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

RETAIL group Dublin Town lost more than €2.5m per day during the bus strikes held on May 1 and 2, according to Richard Guiney, the group’s chief executive.
He said: “We’re comparing statistics at the moment and the figures aren’t pretty. Nearly 90% of businesses said they were down, and the majority were down 30%+.”
Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann will legally challenge SIPTU and the National Bus and Railworkers Union (NRBU) for loss of revenue and damage to reputation as a result of the two-day strike.
SIPTU and NBRU bus drivers engaged in strike action in opposition to the privatisation of 10% of their routes and five more days of strikes are planned this month.
SIPTU divisional organiser Owen Reidy said the dispute went well and was very well supported by members as well as the public, despite the disruption to commuters.
He went on to say that there had been no contact from the Labour Relations Commission (LRC) about renewing talks.
Chief executives of both bus companies said the first two-day strike was illegal and were taking legal action to challenge the unions. This followed the latest walk-out by both unions from emergency talks held at the LRC on April 28.
Legal letters have been sent to the unions informing them of the move by the bus companies, which will follow this by initiating proceedings in the High Court.
NBRU general secretary Dermot O’Leary said it was unfortunate that the companies had chosen this course of action and that it would be better if they concentrated on working to resolving the dispute.
Guiney urged everyone involved to resume talks. He said: “They need to get around the table; there is too much at stake here.”

Related Articles