Bluebell move into fifth

by Gazette Reporter

REIGNING champions Bluebell United moved back into the top half of the LSL Sunday Senior table with a 2-1 win over St Pat’s CY last Sunday morning in the Red Cow.
Goals from Tony Griffiths and Shane Stritch either side of an Andy Doolan strike made it four wins from six games for Andy Noonan’s side.
The game got off to a lively start with the hosts looking the more likely from the off. Karl Russell’s cross found an unmarked Sean Byrne in the CY box but the shot was tame and easily gathered by Darren McGarry.
The Ringsend side were offering plenty of industry in the middle but offering little going forward, the Bell’s defence looked steady to their credit, marshalled by Russell and Sherlock.
United took the lead just after the quarter of an hour mark. Stritch stretched the Pat’s defence with a brilliant delivery and the on-form Griffith’s read it perfectly to fire in a stunning volley into the net.
The visitors had a good chance to level things before the break when Dean Gannon broke down the right and zipped a low ball across the six-yard box but the cross came too quickly for Dean Kelly to finish.
Pat’s also had the first real chance of the second half when Andy Doolan slipped in Jay Doyle. Bluebell’s Karl Corcoran came marauding out of his back and Doyle gave him the slip but the finish rolled wide of the post.
Stritch then had a chance to double the lead but for a top save from McGarry from close range.
The Bell man was left to rue the miss even more moments later when the away side equalised.
With just under 20 minutes left to play, Sherlock got too close for comfort to Doyle in the Bluebell box and when the frontman went down, the referee pointed to the spot. Doolan assumed responsibility and made no mistake to pull his team level.
It remained 1-1 for less than five minutes however as the champions did what champions do so often and found a way to win.
A long ball over the top looked harmless enough but the Pat’s defence stalled which allowed Stritch to stretch his legs, break through and poke home the winner.
The visiting defence were incensed and demanding an offside flag but it never came and the Clondalkin outfit took all three points.

Related Articles