Killester add to Tolka woes

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

GERRY Davis officially kicked off his reign as Killester United manager with an emphatic 4-0 win over Tolka Rovers in the FAI Cup third round last Friday night.
A brace apiece for strikers old and new secured a place in the last eight of the competition for the Hadden Park side with David Lacey and Alan Talbot scoring two each in Frank Cooke Park.
There was a sense of mystery about how exactly Tolka would line out given the week the club had had, installing the hugely successful former Killester boss Joey Graydon as Paul Doyle’s replacement only for him to step down days later.
Former Bohemians and Sligo Rovers’ manager Owen Heary was then announced as the new manager by the press, only for the man himself to come out and say he was only temporarily lending a hand and would not even be taking charge against Tolka, with Graham Kane acting as interim manager.
Killester finished fourth in last season’s LSL Senior Sunday Division, one place better than Tolka, and it was the visitors who started the better. Tolka’s defence looked shaky from the start and Lacey was in no mood to wait for them to sharpen up.
Lacey and Talbot combined for the first time after just five minutes when the former found the latter with a sweeping ball into the box, but with just Paul Tancred to beat, Talbot shot at the keeper’s feet.
Rovers responded with a chance of their own a minute later through Padraig Drew but his lobbed effort was a bit tame. Adam Murphy then struck a free-kick on 18 minutes which at least worked for Keith Donoghue in the Killester goal.
But it was the visitors who broke the deadlock just before the half hour mark, and it was no surprise who it came from. Lacey had been a thorn in the Tolka defence’s side thus far and was given too much space at a cross which allowed him to bury a header past Tancred.
The lead was doubled just five minutes later. This time, Lacey turned provider, holding up the ball brilliantly, before finding his new strike partner Talbot who waltzed around a couple of weak challenges and burying his effort home.
The result was sealed 10 minutes into the second half and a third goal came rather like the first. Another cross into the box, more poor marking, and another David Lacey header sealed his side’s place in the last eight of the biggest cup in the country.
Killester put a gloss on their finish with eight minutes to go when Talbot drifted in from the right and beat Tancred once more to score his second of the night.
Davis’s side will now face League of Ireland side Bray Wanderers in the quarter-final at the Carlisle Grounds.

Related Articles