Young’s guns get Liffeys off to strong start in the LSL

by Dave Donnelly
0 comment

Liffey Wanderers continued their unbeaten start to their return to LSL Sunday Senior as they were held 2-2 by St Pat’s CY at Irishtown Stadium.

The match had been due to go ahead on Friday evening under the floodlights but, due to an electrical fault, the game was moved to Sunday morning.

And the large crowd that turned up to the new date was rewarded with an exciting four-goal draw as Paul Healy equalised late on for the Ringsend side.

Dean Kelly had put Pat’s CY in front towards the end of the first half but Sam Simpson and Lee Roche scored in quick succession to put Liffeys in front before Healy levelled matters.

Playing into a strong Irishtown wind, Liffeys began the game the stronger but they fell behind before half time as Kelly finished well on the counter.

Liffeys rallied after the break and they levelled as Simpson finished off a move from new signing Gary Kavanagh’s cross on the hour.

The turnaround was complete shortly after as Lee Roche lined up a free kick and planted the ball in the bottom corner.

Liffeys had chances to close the game off but they couldn’t find the finish, and Healy was the man to apply the final touch from Kevin Dunne’s knockdown.

Dunne thought he’d won it in injury time as he forced the ball into the net, but the goal was chalked off for an infringement and Dunne saw red for his protests.

“It was fair result,” Liffey Wanderers manager John Young told the Dublin Gazette.

“If you ask both managers, they’d say the same. We went out for a few pints after and that’s what it’s all about.

“It wasn’t a dirty game in any way. [Apart from the late sending-off], there wasn’t a booking, which is shocking for a derby.”

CY – who also play out of Irishtown – moved their game last week away to Killester and were beaten, but there was no danger of the derby being postponed this time around.

Despite the heavy wind in the first half, the large crowd who turned up were given full value for their Sunday morning effort and went away happy.

“We were the home team and we gave the go-ahead, and it was a huge crowd. I much prefer playing against the wind.

“Our keeper, the kick on him, he was trying to take a bit off it in the first half and it was still going on over the endline. It wasn’t fantastic for the purists, but it was an exciting game.”

Liffeys reached a deal towards the end of last season to return to their old clubhouse at City Quay church on the docks, which they’re hoping to move into by the start of next season.

“It’s in motion and it’ll probably be another year. It’ll be fantastic if we get into it before the end of the season.”

Related Articles