Sarsfields’ win as Thomas Davis draw in SFC

by Staff Reporter

Lucan Sarsfields began their Dublin Senior Football campaign in Group 2 last Friday with an impressive 3-14 to 1-10 win over Skerries Harps in Garristown.

Brendan Gallagher fired an impressive 2-9 – seven of which came from placed balls, with Gallagher twice finding the net in the closing 10 minutes of normal time.

Lucan corner-back Alan Murphy had an impressive game, given the difficult man-marking assignment of curtailing Skerries’ dangerous inside forward Stephen Smith, he emerged with much credit.

However, it was Harps who made the better start and hit two early points inside the opening three minutes before Brian Collopy’s 11th minute goal ignited the Lucan challenge.

Sarsfields hit the next six points without reply with Gallagher, from frees and play, contributed four as they opened up a 1-6 to 0-2 lead by the 17th minute.

Skerries battled back with scores from Collie Daly, Kevin Gilmore and Mark Boylan and by the break Lucan held a 1-8 to 0-5 lead.

Midway through the second period sub Ciarán Murphy grabbed the Skerries goal to make it 1-12 to 1-7.

But Lucan fended off any chance of a late Skerries resurgence with goals from Gallagher in the 52nd and 60th minutes to run out 10-point victors.

Eoin Keogh grabbed the games only goal for Raheny in their 1-7 to 0-10 draw with Thomas Davis.

Meanwhile in the Dublin Senior Football Championship 2, last year’s beaten finalists St Mary’s Saggart, opened their Dublin SFC2 Group 4 with a thoroughly deserved 1-15 to 1-6 victory over Parnell’s at Parnell Park on Thursday night.

The Saggart/Rathcoole men showed intent from the first whistle and quickly moved into a 0-4 to 0-0 lead inside 13 minutes with scores from James Timmons (free), Karl Finn and two from the impressive Blaine Kelly.

Mary’s looked well organised at the back with Ciarán Dunne emerging from defence in possession on several occasions.

However, Parnell’s best move of the game resulted in a brilliantly taken Darragh Joyce goal in the 14th minute following a pacey run by centre-forward John Dignam.
Joyce added two frees to edge the Coolock side in front, 1-2 to 0-4, with a little under ten minutes remaining in the half.

Mary’s, though, finished the half in style with two points from Blaine Kelly – one a free and the second a fine score off his left side and just before the break Alex Darcy and Peter Doyle combined to release Ciarán Howard at pace and he set up Timmons for a goal to give his side a four-point advantage, 1-6 to 1-2, at the interval.

Early points on the resumption from Alex Darcy and Peter Doyle moved Mary’s further clear.

Mary’s looked certain to score a second goal following slick interplay between Rhys Butler, Blaine Kelly and Howard but the wing-forward’s effort was parried and scrambled clear by Parnell’s.

Fittingly Kelly concluded the scoring on the night to bring his tally to 0-7.

Related Articles