Ballyboden await as Thomas Davis aim to end 28-year wait

by Cóilín Duffy

West Dublin duo Thomas Davis and Ballyboden St Enda’s will meet for the first time in a Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship Final this Sunday at Parnell Park (4pm – Live TG4).

Having just come up from the Senior 2 grade this year, Davis have caused some big shocks along the way, with the latest a five-point win over last year’s winners by Kilmacud Crokes on a 2-12 to 1-10 score-line last Saturday evening, to set up a final date with Ballyboden St Enda’s.

Boden accounted for Jude’s by 2-10 to 1-10 in the opening semi-final in Parnell Park, on an evening where two entertaining semi-finals were produced.

Next Sunday is Thomas Davis’s first final appearance since they completed a three-in-a-row back in 1991, and their manager Paul Kelly says a big test awaits.

“Again, we are facing another team of All-Ireland winners and Dublin champions in recent years as well. It’s going to be a tall order, but we’ll give it a good go,” he said after last Saturday’s win.

Crokes were 0-3 to 0-1 ahead early on – firing three unanswered points, after Oisin Kelly opened the scoring for Thomas Davis.

It took his side another 14 minutes to add to their tally but they soon really began to come into this match.

Eoin Kirby broke the deadlock with a pointed free, after Rory O’Carroll fouled the ball with a bad pick-up. Kirby delivered another pointed free to ensure a 0-4 to 0-3 score-line after 20 minutes.

Burke and Hogan responded with points, but Kirby kept Thomas Davis in touch from placed balls along with Ryan Deegan and at the break the sides were tied at 0-6 apiece.

Crokes couldn’t have had a more disastrous start to the second half, as from the throw-in Thomas Davis delivered their opening goal.

Ciarán Farrelly was on the end of an excellent move for Paul Kelly’s side, after a long ball was delivered by Ryan Deegan.

Deegan added a point, and suddenly Thomas Davis were four points clear.

A 40th minute goal arrived from Brendan Kirby, and although Crokes got a goal of their own with Thomas Davis defender Brian Kirby looking like getting the final touch, a more assured Thomas Davis side drove on for victory.

Former All-Ireland club champions Ballyboden St Enda’s quest for a first Dublin title since 2015 continues, after they had a goal to spare over neighbours St Jude’s.

A strong finish stood to the Páirc Uí Mhurchú side who trailed by six points at half-time, to deliver a strong second half display.

Jude’s led by 1-8 to 1-2 at half-time with Darragh Gogan firing a third minute goal, but were held to just two points on the restart.

Darren O’Reilly kept Boden in touch with their first half goal, and although Jude’s opened up a strong lead, Ballyboden came back with Colm Basquel (1-4), O’Reilly and Ryan Basquel among those impressing in the second half.

“We have our schedule set out now ahead of the final, ” Ballyboden manager Anthony Rainbow said. “We have a bit of work to do in terms of video analysis on the opposition from tonight’s game.”

Related Articles