The Old Wesley fourths, top celebrate their metro league successes

OLD WESLEY are already enjoying an April to remember as their junior teams, collected two trophies and two successive promotions in the process last week.
It lays the perfect platform for their first team’s league showdown with UCC on Saturday with potential promotion up to Ulster Bank Division 1A on the line.
First up, it was the turn of Wesley’s fourths against Clontarf in the Metro League Division 5 final. After a very hard fought, lively and sporting encounter, the Donnybrook team emerged victorious on a slightly flattering 24-10 scoreline, having been 7-3 down at half time.
This team won the Metro League Division 6 last year as well as the Winters Cup and, after two back to back promotions, will now be operating in the heady heights of Division 4 next season.
Tarf came out of the blocks early and for the first 14 minutes put Old Wesley under constant pressure but failed to register on the scoreboard. Eventually, a terrier like break by Guy Creswell got Wesley into the opposition half which nearly resulted in a try only to be held up over the line.
Graham Claxton opened the scoring with a penalty kick after 22 minutes. A yellow card for influential Wesley Captain David Taylor just before half time was capitalised on by Clontarf with the first try of the match which was converted leaving the half time score at 7-3 to the northsiders.
In second half, sub Arron McDonnell was only on the pitch a few minutes when he took a pass at pace inside the opposition 22 to cross for a try reclaiming the lead for Wesley.
Clontarf replied with a penalty kick but that was to be their last score. Approaching the hour mark, Andy Kelly got hold of the ball seven metres from the line and he bulldozed over for a try.
A yellow card for Michael Glynn for a high tackle was offset by a similar punishment for a Clontarf player for a ruck infringement just short of their own try line.
Andrew Handcock converted the straightforward penalty, 16-10 and the balance was turning rapidly in Old Wesley’s favour.
David Flower snuck in in the corner and, for the first time in the match Wesley had a two score lead. A penalty kick five minutes later by Handcock made it 24-10 with the title secured.
A day later, the club’s thirds had a high noon date in Donnybrook with neighbours and great rivals, Wanderers seconds fot the Metro League Division 3 title and promotion to Division 2.
After a see-saw struggle in showery conditions, with the lead changing hands on numerous occasions, Wesley preserved their season-long league unbeaten record, eventually prevailing on a 29-23 scoreline against an excellent Wanderers side in a match worthy of the occasion.
Like the fourth team, this assured back-to-back promotions with Wesley captain Michael Hastings on hand to raise the trophy.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here