Waves roll over Peamount

by Stephen Findlater
0 comment

UCD WAVES made their biggest statement of intent last Sunday when they ran up a monster total of 14 goals to go top of the Continental Tyres Women’s National League with an emphatic victory over Peamount in Greenogue

Eileen Gleeson’s side knocked in the huge tally past her old club, with Aine O’Gorman finding the net on four occasions and Caroline Thorpe snatching a hat-trick.

Peamout’s Amber Barrett grabbed a debut hat-trick, bagging one just before the break, seeing Waves lead by eight goals to one at half time.

Jetta Berrill bagged two goals along with Dora Gorman, Rebekah Carrol, Emily Cahill, Orlagh Nolan and Julie Anne Russell bringing Waves goal difference to plus 17 for the season as they won out 14-3.

It shows the remarkable step up they have made since their first season in the league a couple of seasons.

Back in April 2013, in their first year in the Women’s National League, the then DLR Waves lost 10-1 to Peamount.

But, since linking up with UCD and drawing on the support of the college to develop girls and women’s football in the south Dublin area, the club has shot to the top of the game.

And they already have a maiden FAI Senior Cup final to look forward to on November 2 when they take on Raheny United, a side who are this week competing in the last 32 phase of the Champions League following their national success in 2013-14.

They reached that phase a week ago when Aine O’Gorman scored twice and set up her side’s third goal to see off last year’s beaten finalists Castlebar Celtic in a hard-fought last four clash at Jackson Park.

In their previous incarnation UCD won the FAI Women’s Senior Cup three years in a row from 2002-04. This will be the first appearance on the highest stage for the recently formed club.

After Castlebar keeper Rachel King outfoxed O’Gorman on six minutes with a one on one save, O’Gorman redeemed herself on 14 minutes, taking advantage of slack defending to hit the net.

O’Gorman then turned provider on 16 minutes, skipping down the right and crossing for Julie Anne Russell to rise and fire home a bullet header.

Celtic though sparked to life and should have got on the score board after half an hour but Catherine Hyndman was unable to find the empty net.

The visitors had a big chance to get back in the game when they were awarded a 34th minute penalty after Alison Brien fouled Emma Hansberry in the penalty area but Waves keeper Monica McGuirk dived low to save Sarah Rowe’s penalty on 34 minutes.

Waves booked their place in next month’s final at Aviva stadium on 72 minutes – O’Gorman converting Orlagh Nolan’s through ball.

Related Articles