Valley produce more FAI Junior Cup heroics

by Gazette Reporter

RIVERVALLEY Rangers produced another superb FAI Junior Cup performance to see off Parkvilla and advance to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup at Claremont Stadium on Friday night.
The visitors got off to a dream start when Mark O’Brien embarked on a dazzling run into the Parkvilla box before being upended by an outstretched boot to give Rangers a penalty kick inside the opening minute.
Colly O’Brien stepped up and confidently slotted the spot-kick home to give last season’s quarter-finalists the early advantage.
However, on fifteen minutes the Swords outfit were reduced to ten men for a straight red card meaning manager Stephen Doran was forced to reorganized his side.
Despite being down a man, Rivervalley managed to double their lead before the break when Thomas Cooney’s crisp cross-field ball flew the length of the pitch onto the foot of Colly O’Brien to rifle the ball home for his second of the night.
For the duration of the second-half Rangers defended excellently and didn’t allow the hosts any any amount of leeway as they saw out the game and sealed the 2-0 victory.
Elsewhere, the Swords club’s Saturday team bowed out of the cup at the first hurdle against LSL leading side Crumlin.
Rangers were reduced to 10 men after 15 minutes for two bookable offences but the Swords side dug in and took the lead minutes later.
A free kick was won 35 yards out and played into Gary Weafer. The big man held off a challenge and buried the ball past the keeper from 15 yards.
David Warde and Andy Conway were particularly impressive, repelling anything Crumlin threw at them until the 65th minute. A scuffed shot fell into the path of the fortunate Crumlin forward who tucked it away.
Two minutes later, it was 2-1 and try as Rivervalley might, they needed Conor Hurley to keep them in the game with some fine stops. Late on, Barry McCarthy nearly took it to extra time with a great chance but headed over six yards.

Related Articles