Tower’s Goose cooked in Junior E semi final

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

THERE was disappointment for the Round Tower as they were denied a place in the junior championship final after losing to Wild Geese by 3-13 to 4-12 at Monastery Road.
Two second half goals in the space of 10 minutes proved the difference in a tight game that could have gone either way.
Tower’s scored the first two points of the game through Martin Doyle and Jim McGrath before Wild Geese hit a 1-1 – the goal coming after an aerial tussle fell the way of their centre-half-forward.
The scores were level soon afterwards when an Eoin Ryan put over a free, before turning sharply to raise the arms of the umpires once more.
Ruairi Keogh put Towers ahead for the first time in the match when he showed great control from a fast-travelling sideline cut to score from range.
The visitors notched a point before Martin Doyle carried possession free of a rummage and laid it off to Ryan, who advanced on goal and finished at the near post.
Wild Geese responded in emphatic fashion by putting three points over the bar but Towers were back in front again after Ryan picked himself up off the ground to score from a free.
Eoghan Hutchinson made a superb block before he was fouled on the 50, and Ryan made no mistake when knocking over another free.
Despite Tower’s best efforts, the visitors would not go away and they re-took the three minutes before the break. There was just enough time for yet another Ryan free to leave the scores level at 1-8 apiece at the break.
A slower start to the second period saw Tower’s go four behind, with Wild Geese striking 1-1.
The response from Tower’s was instant with Ryan breaking in from the right and evading three challenges before striking low into the corner.
However, the visitors then enjoyed a very productive spell, scoring 1-3 without reply.
Entering into the final quarter trailing by six, Towers needed to show resolve and they did so. Ryan struck two frees brought about because of pressure placed on the oppositions defenders, and an outstanding strike from the right touchline that was set up by Niall Corless.
Ryan turned provider when he won in the air and set up onrushing midfielder Ciaran Brennan to reduce the deficit to two.
A point each was scored to leave Wild Geese five ahead going into injury-time and the last point was from a Power free but it was the last play of the game and the championship journey ended for another year.

Related Articles