The InVincentables

by Gazette Reporter

Castleknock Hurling and Football Club played out an enthralling senior football championship final at Parnell Park last Saturday but were unable to prevent St Vincent’s claiming their 28th senior Dublin title.
Founded in 1998 and up against a club 67 years their senior, the youthful west Dublin side put on an impressive display against the Marino based club.
St Vincents, the high kings of Dublin football with a list of past and present players that reads like a who’s who of football in the county, were eventually able to put distance between the sides in the last quarter of the game to win by a five-point margin.
Unfancied by the tipsters but talked up in the media, Knock took a while to find their feet as Vincent’s scored three points from play in the first eleven minutes through the boot of Enda Varley and Tomas Quinn.
Ciarán Kilkenny opened the Castleknock account with a point on 13 minutes which Vincent’s soon cancelled out with a point from Gavin Burke. Knock then began to settle in to the rareified atmosphere of a senior final.
What followed was a tit-for-tat exchange of scores for the remainder of the first half, including a point in off the post for Kevin Kindlon, a long range effort from Eoin O’Brien and a super left footed score from Kilkenny.
Quinn and Burke claimed further scores for Vincent’s but Castleknock’s in-form free taker Dessie Carlos pointed two scores from frees to tie the game seven points apiece at half time.
The second half opened like the first with Vincent’s taking the first scores and they quickly went four points ahead with Tomas Quinn claiming three.
As Vincent’s improved their points tally Castleknock’s influential forward James Sherry had a fisted attempt on goal denied by an alert Vincent’s defence.
More drama was to follow as Ger Brennan was sent off on a second yellow card for a high tackle on Kevin Kindlon at the fifteen minute mark. With Vincent’s down to fourteen men Castleknock’s Dessie Carlos pointed the resultant free to narrow the gap to 3 points.
The experienced Marino men adapted their game to suit the maths of a fourteen versus fifteen encounter.
Dermot Connolly, who had a quiet first half, fired off some threatening cross-field foot passes to test the Knock defence.
Two further scores from Varley and one a piece from Quinn and Feeney were enough to see Vincent’s dominate the final quarter.
Castleknock relied on Carlos to keep them in touch with three pointed frees. However, scores from play eluded the Somerto Park-based club and that was the difference between the sides.

Related Articles