Swords make big move to promised land of LSL top tier

by Dave Donnelly
0 comment

Swords Celtic took another huge step toward promotion to the top tier of intermediate football as they saw off Tullamore Town 2-0 in Balheary.

Both Celtic and Tullamore town went into the tie knowing a win would bring them closer to promotion with Swords looking to go to the top league in the LSL for the first time in their long history.

It was the home side who started the brighter with Evan Kelly and Jack McGlade looking lively up front. On the 15 minute mark, a Gavin Smith free kick wasn’t too far away from giving Swords an early lead.

As the rain started to lash down on Balheary, the Co Offaly side started to come into the game with Kevin Williamson’s curling freekick forcing home keeper Steven Trimble to stay on his toes.

He was called into action soon after as Brian Francis got in behind the Swords defence with trimble saving at his feet.

It was Swords, though, who took the lead soon after when a Greame Leahy cross was headed in by Smith on the 36th minute. Shortly after, Celtic appeals for a penalty were waved away by referee Declan Troy, keeping it at 1-0 at half-time.

Tullamore manager Tony O’Sullivan rallied his troops at the start of the second half and they got on top again. Williamson met Anto Kavanagh’s cross with his head but it was redirected just went inches over as Tullamore as pressed for an equaliser on a slippy pitch.

The conditions may have played a part in a few loose tackles, leading to cards for both sides while Swords could have had a penalty in the 60th minute as the lively McGlade went down in the box.

Kelly went just wide in the 67th minute from another great chance as the hosts pressed on, particularly when Tullamore were reduced to 10 players when Brian Gill got his second yellow for lashing out at Smith.

Up a goal and with an extra player, Swords sealed the game on the 77th minute a Jones cross was poked home by Kelly to make it 2-0, much to the delight of the small Swords crowed who braved the weather.

The result lifted Celtic to the top of the table with three matches remaining in their campaign, two clear of Liffey Wanderers and Ballymun United.

Liffeys have the box seat for the moment, though, with two games in hand on both of their top table rivals.

Nonetheless, Swords are in good shape to make the top three promotion places with four points in the difference back to fourth placed Glenville.

Elsewhere, Swords Saturday Major side recorded a 1-1 draw with Ballymun with Aaron McFadden scoring the goal while goalkeeper Eoghan Moloney pulled off numerous strong saves to secure the point.The Sunday Division 3 side were 5-0 winnvers over Liffey Athletic to stay in the top two in the division.

Related Articles