St Francis bag first point in top flight for  25 years while Wayside stay top 

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

St Francis picked up their first Leinster Senior League Senior Sunday point in 25 years last Sunday.

A draw with near neighbours Bluebell United at the Red Cow saw one of the most famous amateur clubs in the country get off the mark at the third attempt this season.

It also means the Senior Sunday 1995-96 champions and former FAI Cup finalists banked Intermediate top-flight points for the first time since the early 2000s.

It’s a significant moment in the history of the storied club, especially as it marks a massive turnaround for a side that took a hiatus from senior football when they dropped out of the intermediate ranks five years ago, and has since battled its way back to the top table.

However, manager Kevin Smith may still have left the Red Cow somewhat unhappy. Saints will feel they should be celebrating three points rather than one.  

The John Hyland Park residents were two to the good, courtesy of Darragh Murphy’s second and third goals of the season, going into the final 30 minutes, only for United to draw level before 90 minutes.

It was the second time in less than a week that late goals did for Francis. Their midweek clash with Wayside Celtic looked it would end all square but extra time finishes enabled the early front-runners to secure all three points.

Goals from Anthony Kavanagh, former EFL and LOI Ireland midfielder Conor Clifford, Luke Walsh and Michael Adembambo helped Lucan United secure a win over Home Farm that saw them join Wayside on 10 points after four games.  

Rob Dunne and former Shamrock Rovers league-winning hero Dean Kelly were on the scoresheet again for Killester Donnycarney as they left last season’s title challengers Maynooth University searching for a first win of the new season.

Akrim Millitti was also on the scoresheet for the hosts, scoring on his home Sunday debut in a 3-2 win.

Malahide United also conceded twice but scored an impressive five away from home against Crumlin United to register their second win of the new campaign.

A brace apiece from Darren Craven and Dylan Cashin and a Danila Bogdanov effort saw United move to fourth courtesy of a five-star display.

Bangor Celtic held reigning champions St Mochta’s scoreless in Sunday’s other top-flight tie.

Action from St Mochta’s win over Tolka Rovers last Wednesday. The defending
Senior Sunday champs were held to a goalless draw on Sunday. Pictures: Martin Doherty

Related Articles