St Maur’s enjoy Feile gold rush

by Gazette Reporter

AIG Ladies Football Feile Div 3 Final
St Maur’s 5-5
St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh 2-2

** Cóilin Duffy

ST MAURS brought plenty of excitement to St. Peregrines GAA Club on Sunday, as their AIG Dublin Under 14 Ladies Football Feile Division 3 success, earned them a place in the All-Ireland Feile in Connacht next month, thanks to an eight-point win over St. Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh in the decider.

The Rush outfit led throughout in a memorable final, with their Navan Road counterparts not making it easy.

In ideal conditions, Maurs started well with a Kerrie Austin point after just 30 seconds.

From then on, Maurs wouldn’t trail although they were met with some strong resistance with Plunketts unlucky ot to grab an equaliser, with two quick attacks, but Emily Vahey’s effort was blocked out for a 45’, which Amber McCloskey failed to convert.

At the opposite end, Tara Brady grabbed the first of her two points from frees over the tie, and it wasn’t long before the first goal of the tie.

Eoghan Ruadh’s defence was now under strong pressure, with Zara Thorne grabbing the first goal after just four minutes.

Less than 90 seconds later another goal followed, after a high ball in, Tara Brady found the net.

Brady saw a further effort from the resulting kick-out come off the posts, before Saoirse Mehigan was on hand to net a goal from an acute angle – and complete her sides hat-trick in less than two and a half minutes.

Brady brought her tally to 1-2 and while Maurs now had a 3-3 to 0-0 lead after seven minutes, it wasn’t until the seventh minute of the second half that they would get their next score.

Maurs saw an early effort go out for a 45’ on the restart, before Plunketts created their first real goal chance in this game.

Molly Foley Brown was in for goal, but her third minute effort was saved by Maurs keeper Isobel Lyster.

Tori McDonnell opening Plunketts account with a fine score and they grew in confidence, with Amber McCloskey adding a point, but Maurs netted for a fourth time, as Rebecca Sweetman’s dipped effort finished in the net.

Emily Vahey cut loose, before finishing a much required goal for Plunketts, but once again Maurs rattled the net – this time from Kerrie Austin 11 minutes into the half to put her side 5-3 to 1-2 in front.

Plunketts managed a second goal, with McDonnell bundling the ball over the line in a crowded goalmouth late on, but St Maurs had laid the foundations in the opening half, with a trip to Connacht for the All-Ireland Féile now awaiting them next month.

Afterwards Pat O’Donoghue Dublin LGFA presented the Cup to St Maurs captain Ella Hegarty.

Related Articles