DCU Mercy and Saints Super wins

by Dave Donnelly

DCU Mercy will occupy pole position in the Women’s Super League over Christmas as they ran out handsome 76-33 winners over Liffey Celtics on Sunday afternoon.

A dominant performance against last season’s double winners made it nine wins from ten for the season and maintained the buffer of six points between them and the chasing pack.

Mercy went into the half-time break with a 31-point advantage, having restricted the Celtics to a miserly eight points in the first two quartets.

DCU pulled further ahead as they spread points evenly around the team, with Meredith Burkhall leading the charts with 16, Sarah Woods posting 11 and Ashley Russell 10.

Pyrobel Killester came out the right side of an epic battle with Brunell in Cork as the emerged 95-93 winners following overtime.

The two sides were inseparable at the end of normal time, at 81 points apiece, with Christa Reed and Adella Randle El particularly impressive.

Reed finished with 28 points, Randle El with 26 and Aisling McCann 20 after overtime – an incredible 74 of the 95 points between the three players.

The result leaves Killester on 18 points after ten games, just three points off WIT, Maree and Glanmire in the top four.

In the men’s Super League, DCU Saints picked up a big derby win over Pyrobel Killester as they ran out 95-89 winners in Clontarf.

Veteran Mike Bonaparte top-scored with a stunning 36 points, while Graham Brannelly managed 18 to draw the Saints level on points with their hosts.

Saints coach Mark Kiernan said: “I’m extremely happy tonight with that win after a tough few weeks. We’ve kept positive in training and worked hard and that showed there tonight.

“We moved the ball extremely well and knocked down our shots. Credit to Killester who fought until the buzzer, but we’re very happy to be going into the Christmas break with a win.”

Griffith College Templeogue slipped two places to fourth following their 90-79 home defeat to Belfast Star, who replaced them in second position as a result.

The sides were separated by just a point going into the final quarter but two three-pointers from Connor Johnston helped the Antrim side to inch clear in the latter stages.

Related Articles