Young hails Liffey’s incredible turnaround

by Dave Donnelly
0 comment

[vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]Liffey Wanderers got swift revenge on Bluebell United as they bounced back from their Metro Cup defeat to defeat the LSL Sunday Senior champions 4-2 in the league at Ringsend Astro.

The Pearse Street side geared up for their FAI Intermediate Cup clash with Home Farm on Sunday with a comprehensive 4-2 win over the Red Cow side.

Lee Roche scored a brace of penalties, while Aidan Roche and Sam Simpson were also on the scoresheet, as Liffeys raced into a shock 4-0 lead.

Bluebell pulled back two goals in the closing stages through Dean Lawrence and Gary Seery, but it was too little too late as they dropped back into third, 11 points behind leaders Crumlin United.

It was as far as could be from the game that took place between the sides seven days previously, as cup specialists Liffeys were handily despatched 3-0 by Bluebell in the second round of the Metro.

That defeat clearly inspired a reaction from the reigning Senior 1 champions, and it was the Roche brothers who led the way on the scoresheet.

“I knew we’d get a reaction,” Liffeys manager John Young told the Dublin Gazette.

“We played Bluebell in the Metro the previous week and were shocking. We had some harsh words after it.

“We played Crumlin in the league two weeks previous and we gave them a great game – they’re probably the best side I’ve seen in a while. It was a very tight game.

“The next Wednesday we were playing Bluebell, who’ve been the best team in the last four years overall, and we were down gears. We were absolutely terrible. We had a few harsh words.

“To be fair to Bluebell, after the hiding they gave us they wouldn’t have foreseen it any more than we did. We were brilliant – the best performance I’ve seen from us in a long time.

There were just seven minutes gone when Aidan Roche put his side in the lead, latching onto a through ball from his older brother Lee before rounding the goalkeeper for a tap-in.

By then, Bluebell had already been denied themselves from the spot as Liffeys goalkeeper Philip O’Connor dived the right way to deny Carl Forsyth from 12 yards.

Lee Roche added his first of the game from the penalty spot on the half-hour, and Liffeys took a 3-0 lead into the break as striker Simpson added the third on the stroke of half time.

Patient build-up play on the left allowed Aidan Roche to take the ball to the byline, and his ball across goal was perfect for Simpson, who had the simple task of tapping home.

Things would get even better for the Pearse Street side within three minutes of the resumption as Lee Roche stepped up to put away his second spot-kick of the evening.

Bluebell belatedly roared back and they got on the scoresheet 15 minutes from time when Liffeys failed to fully clear a corner, and Lawrence reacted first to prod the ball into the net.

And the away side put a more respectable look on the scoreline when Seery struck a spectacular effort into the top corner that gave Philip O’Connor no chance.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Related Articles