Somers shines as Mochta’s fight back to beat Bluebell

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

St Mochta’s 2

Bluebell United 1

St Mochta’s once again benefited from Karl Somers unique ability to find himself in the right place at the right time last weekend.

The veteran goal-scoring midfielder’s instinct for opportunities was on full display as he fired home a come-from-behind winner at Porterstown last Friday.

Amateur football’s Frank Lampard pounced on a rebound with just under 15 minutes to go to ensure the Saints beat Bluebell United and bounded toward second in the table.

The reigning champions find themselves second in the table behind Lucan United on goal difference courtesy of the result.

The home side had the better of the first half chances with Gareth McCaffrey, Jake Donnelly and Mikey Scott all going close. However, it was ‘Bell who led at the turn thanks to a strike from former Shelbourne player Glen McAuley.

Scott thought he had leveled on the stroke of half time but he found the top corner after the referee had blown his whistle for a foul on Donnelly.

The hosts were level soon after the restart as minutes after Donnelly had a turn and volley saved, Sean Heaney powered home a header from O’Hanlon’s corner.

Brian McCarthy’s men instantly went in search of the lead goal and finally broke Bluebell’s resistance on 76 minutes.

Some brilliant wing play down the left presented Dean Casey with a chance and when his close range effort was saved by Conlan, Somers was on hand to fire home the rebound.

McCaffrey had the chance to add an insurance strike less than 10 minutes later but the impressive Conlon saved his penalty and prevented him from registering his fifth league goal of the season.

The miss didn’t have a bearing on the result and Mocthas still banked all three points.

However, the three points were not enough for them to return to the summit as Lucan United’s one goal away win over Wayside on a frantic Friday of Senior Sunday action sent them top on goal difference.

United were able to move into early title pole because Kilbarrack United suffered defeat for just the second time this season.

Former Bray Wanderers midfielder Eoin McPhillips scored the only goal as Crumlin United manager James Lee got one over on his former team mate, Ross Carrig at Greendale.

St Francis were also in the winners circle on Friday night, the side who came up from Senior 1 Sunday with Kilbarrack and Tolka Rovers last year put four past Home Farm at John Hyland Park.

An early double from Sean O’Mahoney put Francis on their way to three points with efforts from Ryan O’Callaghan and Sean McManus sealing the famous club’s second win of the term.

Liffey Wanderers still await their second win of the season after being held by Tolka Rovers in Ringsend on the same busy Friday.

Jackson Ryan showed why he once graced the LOI with a neat early finish to give Wanderers the lead. Aaron Townley’s thrid goal of the season levelled matters before Philip Gannon put Tolka in the driving seat. However, Paul Fox found the next after a perfectly weighted pass from former Drogheda player Liam Donnelly.

Related Articles