Double dreamland

by Cóilín Duffy

LGFA all-Ireland final
Dublin 2-3
Galway 0-4

DUBLIN Ladies Footballers delivered their third TG4 All-Ireland Senior Championship title on a tough afternoon weather wise, in front of a record breaking 56,114 crowd on Sunday at Croke Park.

Wet conditions certainly made it tough for both sides, in what was the lowest combined score in a decider since 2003, when Mayo and Dublin accumulated a combined tally of 12 points, with the Westerners lifting silverware that day in Dublin’s first Senior final.

“Conditions made it very difficult,” Dublin manager Mick Bohan said..

“In the women’s game, they obviously don’t have the same distance in the kick as they do in the lads. It makes it more difficult to break it down, particularly the way Galway set up today.

“They came with a plan, they executed it well and made it extremely difficult for us to spray the ball which is obviously what we try to do.”

Bohan was high in his praise for the character shown by his side.

“There were so many scraps won around the field, so many of them on the floor. You just have to be immensely proud of our group after that,” he said.

Dublin and Galway had their fair share in the possession stakes in the opening half, but just produced one score apiece as Dublin led by 1-0 to 0-1 at the interval.

Croke Park sprung to life after Sinead Goldrick rattled the back of the Galway net eight minutes from the break. She came under strong pressure but managed to get off the vital shot as two Galway players collided with the ball looping over keeper Lisa Murphy,.

Galway claimed their only score of the first half with a fine Sarah Conneally point.

After the break, having waited nearly 22 minutes for a score, it didn’t take long for Dublin to get motoring. Niamh McEvoy and Hannah O’Neill were involved, before Player of the Match Lydnsey Davey cut through to score a point inside 15 seconds of the restart.

Defences remained on top even when Galway were reduced to 14 players, after Mairead Seoighe was sin-binned following a collision with Ciara Trant.

Dublin netted their second goal during this spell with O’Neill finishing. Galway did keep in touch with two pointed frees from their captain Tracey Leonard.

The Jackies were held scoreless from the 38th to the 54th minute. Galway also found the going tough as they just added one more point – with Róisín Leonard on target.

Dublin finished strongly, meanwhile, with points from Sinéad Aherne and Noelle Healy to ensure a fourth All-Ireland title.

Related Articles