Blackrock College pulled off an incredible comeback, flooring Greystones to win 25-23 and gain promotion back to Division 2A.
Centre Matthew Dwan’s try in the final play saw the visitors prevail at Dr Hickey Park.
Greystones looked well on course when leading 17-3, their talismanic captain captain Killian Marmion converting tries from a rampaging Conor McAleer and Andrew Lynch, as well as landing a 28th-minute penalty.
Nonetheless, a Stephen McLoughlin try got Blackrock back within reach, and they punished a Michael Douglas sin-binning with a converted effort from playmaker Peter Quirke who finished with 15 points.
Marmion took his own tally to 13 points with a 72nd-minute penalty, giving ‘Stones a hard-earned 23-20 advantage, but ‘Rock stretched the home defence enough for Dwan to score on the standside right at the death and send his team into raptures.
Blackrock College celebrate after securing their place back in AIL Division 2A for next season with a dramatic victory over Greystones on Saturday.
Photo: JC Sports Photography
- TABLE TENNIS: Bonchev lands World Youth silver medal in Croatia
- Bidders have ’til 1pm tomorrow to secure quirky contents of KIN’s ‘The Furry Bog’ pub
- Do you want to find out more about Fingal’s next Heritage Plan? Join a webinar on Tuesday next
- Your Ultimate Guide to Dublin City
- dlr Festival of Inclusion – Celebrating diversity and empowering differences