Blackrock College RFC31
By John Crothers
Wanderers arrived at Stradbrook Road on Saturday seeking to avenge last November’s narrow, late defeat to Blackrock College but it was a case of history repeating itself as the home side’s 78th minute winner saw them take the spoils at the end of a seven-try thriller.
The visitors were first to score when fullback Niall O’Donoghue touched down in the corner, with hooker Brian Vaughan going in under the posts on the half hour to give Wanderers a 12-6 lead, two Peter Quirke penalties keeping the home side in touch.
An exchange of tries just before halftime saw the Merrion Road men go into the break 19-16 up and they had the try bonus point in the bag with ten minutes gone in the second half despite having a man in the bin for a high tackle.
Liam McMahon closed the gap with 15 minutes remaining before the home side clinched it in the dying stages when Matthew Cosgrave powered over to leave the final score 31-26 for ‘Rock.
Pic Caption: Blackrock College celebrate their late, late win over Wanderers.. Photo: JC Sports Photography
- Photography a great release – see what St Brigid’s Group has to offer, exhibition now at Blanchardstown Library
- Keep our children safe: state bodies unite to launch National Children First Awareness Week
- Fingal businesses and community groups called to try out new eCargo bikes!
- Note venue change for tonight’s Housing Information Event with FCC
- Calling Dublin men to do The Dickie Dip for prostate cancer care!