Rugby: Lansdowne land Metropolitan cup

by Aaron Dunne
0 comment

Lansdowne 23

MU Barnhall 9

Lansdowne were worthy winners of the Bank of Ireland Metropolitan (J1) Cup final at Energia Pak on Tuesday evening.

It was 10-6 at the break before a scrum penalty to Barnhall was seized on by Hannon to reduce the difference to the minimum from the right in the 43rd minute.

Lansdowne’s cutting edge was just sharper, Peter Hastie orchestrating an attack for Liam O’Sullivan to dot down on the left from Kyle Dixon’s long pass, Foley converting for 17-9 in the 47th minute.

The sound tackling and aggression at the ruck of MU Barnhall, illustrated by a Will Whelan turnover, enabled them to fly up the tramline, Ben McCarthy’s chase causing a lineout.

Great work by Wheatley from a block and forcing a knock-on put Banrhall on the doorstep of striking back until they were repelled by a disciplined defence, led by Dixon.

A sweet move exposed a few holes out wide and Lansdowne poured through to earn a penalty which Foley struck for 20-9 on the hour.

The accuracy of Foley shone through again from 40 metres when MU-Barnhall transgressed at a ruck to widen the gap to 14 points.

They were able to see it through from there with something to spare.

Elsewhere, Clontarf and Terenure College will meet in a repeat of last year’s Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division 1A final when this season’s title race is decided at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, May 7.

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Divisions: Play-Off Semi-Finals Results Round-Up

The Dublin rivals, the top two finishers in the table, won through to the decider in contrasting style, with reigning champions Clontarf edging out Young Munster 13-12 in a tense tussle at Castle Avenue.

The Lakelands Park faithful roared Terenure on to their second successive final appearance which was sealed by a 30-12 victory over Cork Constitution. Caolan Dooley kicked 20 points and Adam La Grue and Jordan Coghlan claimed a try each.

Shannon moved within 80 minutes of retaining their top flight status after beating Old Wesley 24-6 in the promotion/relegation play-off semi-final.

Trailing to two Ian Cassidy penalties, Shannon replied with two tries, including a Jordan Prenderville maul effort. A final play score from Josh Costello made it a four-try success.

Former captain Chris Banon used an 8-9 scrum move with Miah Cronin to score a decisive 50th-minute try for Highfield, who ended Old Belvedere’s hopes by winning 19-17 at Ollie Campbell Park. They will travel to Thomond Park for the final.

Skerries, the second place finishers in Division 2C, will have home advantage in the promotion decider. They advanced to face Bruff after a quartet of penalties from full-back Ronan Mulcahy saw them overcome Tullamore 12-3 at Holmpatrick.

Lansdowne captain Darragh Murphy lifts the cup after his side’s victory in the Metropolitan Cup final over MU Barnhall RFC at Energia Park in Dublin. Photo: Sportsfile

Related Articles