Rosemount celebrating their Lynch Cup success last season. Picture: George Kelly

Rosemount Mulvey completed a dream return season with an unlikely and impressive double on the pitch, defeating Celbridge Town in the Lynch Cup last week.

But outstanding difficulties with access to facilities continue to present substantial issues for the Leinster Senior League Saturday Premier club.

The Lynch Cup final against Celbridge was a really tight affair, won by a single header in the second half, and somewhat against the run of play.

“They’re a really good team,” committee member Gary Roberts said of the opposition. “We’ve played them three times this year and, to be honest, they should have won at least one of them.

“They were in charge in the first half, but we were a lot better in the second. We nicked a goal, and defended really well. It’s a really great end to the season.”

The team were given a team talk ahead of the game by Conor McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh and brought a double-decker bus worth of fans over to the game in Larkview.

“From a footballing point of view it’s been a great year,” Roberts says, “we’re really delighted with it. It’s been a long season, though, with a lot going on off the pitch.”

Roberts is referring in particular to the difficulty in getting access to most of the facilities at their Mulvey Park ground, a dispute that’s been ongoing with the local council in South Dublin since early in the season.

“We have been given the key to one toilet now,” Roberts says. “It’s still difficult, though. For our semi-final, we had 180 people down for the game and they had to go to the pub to use the toilet.

“The only toilet we’re allowed access to is in the away team’s dressing room and, obviously, we can’t have people going in and out of there, as the opposition’s valuables are all in there.

“It’s now becoming a problem for our Academy. It’s been going on all year, the facilities are there and we don’t have access. It feels a bit ridiculous to be honest.”

The summer academy at Rosemount Mulvey is due to get underway on June 9 and the club have indicated to the council that, without further access, the club won’t be able to run it. It already has 25 children signed up, with coaches including several League of Ireland players.

“We need to have certain facilities for safety reasons with the kids,” Roberts explains. “It’s really frustrating that this problem is still ongoing.”

Despite their problems, though, the newly reformed Mulvey side have really outdone expectations, and are expecting to grow substantially next year.

“Some of our best players this year are doing their Leaving Certs,” Roberts explains. “People know we’re here now, and we’re starting to get a lot of interest locally in joining up.

“It’ll be a bigger squad next year.

“We did well against teams from higher divisions in friendlies earlier this year, against Broadford Rovers and St Vincent’s. We think we’re very capable of competing at a higher level than we are now.”

With Liffey Wanderers recent rise through the Leinster Senior League, consecutive promotions look very possible. Perhaps Mulvey will be the next to go on a charge.