Plunkett’s eventually get the best of Boden

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

ST OLIVER Plunkett’s edged out Ballyboden St Enda’s 1-18 to 0-19 in Friday night’s Dublin senior B hurling championship final at Parnell Park after extra-time.
The Navan Road side looked set for victory in normal time when they held a four-point advantage, 1-13 to 0-12, with five minutes remaining.
However, Boden came with a storming finish to force two extra periods of 10 minutes after Austin Lynch (free), the impressive Matty Weldon and two points from Paul Doherty brought the sides level in added time.
While it might have looked that the southside men now had the momentum it was Plunkett’s who looked the fresher side in extra-time with the likes of Conor McDonnell going strong to the finish.
Points from Liam Corbett (free), the pacy Ronan O’Brien, Corbett again following good work by sub Michael Walsh and a Corbett free before the half-time interval in extra-time had Plunkett’s in the driving seat.
Early in the second half of extra-time the Plunkett’s defence had to be on their guard to twice deny Boden keeper Conor Dooley from 20m frees before Ronan O’Brien stretched their lead – it was one they held on to despite late scores from Sean McDonnell and Doherty.
In normal time it was evenly matched with Plunkett’s extra pace in attack helping them to a 0-9 to 0-7 interval lead.
Some of Plunkett’s long-range striking was impressive with both wing backs Aidan Baird and Eanna Boland on target and centre-forward Niall Murray hitting three points.
However, in the concluding minutes of the half Boden began to exert a greater influence on the game with Ronan Cleary and Paul Doherty closing the gap before the break.
The key switch of the second half was the move of Cian Boland to centre-forward and he scored the only goal of the night in the 43rd minute when he brilliantly fielded a long delivery before despatching to the roof of the net.
But Boden kept battling to the end of normal time and reeled Plunkett’s in.

Related Articles