Peamount end five year wait for WNL silverware

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

Megan Smyth-Lynch earned Peamount United their first silverware in five years as they came from behind to beat Wexford Youths in a faced-paced WNL League Cup final at Ferrycarrig Park.

Defender Lauren Dwyer fired the hosts in front midway through the first-half but Peamount turned things around after the interval as goals from Aine O’Gorman and Smyth-Lynch saw them deservedly claim the silverware.

It was Peamount who began the game with greater urgency, putting Wexford on the back foot from the off and five minutes in Amber Barrett tried her luck, but couldn’t force her effort through a crowded goalmouth.

Wexford finally got a chance to show their attacking threat in the tenth minute, when Emma Hansberry lofted a free-kick into the danger zone. When it was cleared, Nicola Sinnott headed it back into the mix where Rianna Jarrett was on to it like a flash but she couldn’t get enough purchase on her shot from an awkward angle.

The Peas continued to look the most likely in the early stages as O’Gorman fizzed a long-range free off target in the 12th minute and, seconds later, she turned smartly and whipped a shot just wide.

Barrett was next to try her luck after being teed up by the lively O’Gorman and the striker was again in the thick of the action moments later, gathering a pass from Karen Duggan before shooting wide of the left upright.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic though as Wexford showed what a threat they can be from set-pieces. Hansberry whipped in a corner and Edel Kennedy’s effort was blocked. Peamount didn’t heed the warning and in the 22nd minute the home side were in front.

Hansberry whipped in a teasing free-kick in her customary style and Dwyer squeezed a brilliant header inside the right-hand post.

The Greenogue side turned up the heat to try to strike back and ten minutes after falling behind, Karen Duggan collected a pass from Barrett and forced a fine save out of Ciamh Dollard from 20 yards.

The Peas continued to pepper the Youths penalty area as O’Gorman curled over after a Smyth-Lynch corner fell into her path, while Eleanor Ryan-Doyle was off target from distance.

Peamount eventually caught the league leaders cold after the turnaround and got the breakthrough they deserved within three minutes.

Barrett floated a pass to O’Gorman and her shot looped on to the hand of goalkeeper Dollard but she couldn’t prevent the ball from dropping into the net.

Wexford began to up the tempo and came agonisingly close to getting their noses back in front when Edel Kennedy rattled the crossbar with a well-struck shot.

The game really began to open up in the final quarter with both sides attacking at every opportunity.

The visitors grabbed the winner in the in the 82nd minute when the tenacious player of the match Smyth-Lynch blocked down an attempted clearance and the ball flew into the net for a memorable winner.

Related Articles