Mochta’s in flying form

by Gazette Reporter

St Mochtas made it two wins from two against Dalkey United in the league this season after they won 4-1 at home in the DDSL Under-11 Division E last weekend.
Nathan Cleverdon, in particular, impressed for the Saints as he stepped into an unfamiliar position in goal and produced a fine performance.
The opening 15 minutes of the games was an even affair as both teams looked to stamp their authority on the game, but it was the home side who struck first after Oliver Omidiran found the net with a neat finish just minutes after entering coming onto the pitch.
Omidiran was at it again shortly afterwards when he finished off a fine Saints move from inside the box.
It was 3-0 just before the break when defender Aaron Lanigan embarked on a powerful run towards the opposition goal, sauntered past several players, and finished coolly past the keeper – surely a contender for goal of the season.
Mochta’s began the second half as they had ended the first. Strikers Odhran Kelly and Wayne Fay both defied the heat to run into space and go close on several occasions to increasing their side’s lead.
The hard work from Dalkey’s keeper and back line were keeping them in the game.
Man of the match Robert Ungureanu was not to be denied, however, and after going close on four separate occasions he eventually found the back of the net after racing onto a through ball and slotting home.
His ball carrying, shooting and competitive tackling was a fine example of the type of football the club are instilling in their players.
Despite the deficit, Dalkey refused to let their heads drop and continued to work hard in search of something from the game. They were eventually rewarded for the admirable efforts with a consolation strike five minutes from the end.
On the same day, the DDSL Under-12 Division B1 side made the opposite trip to Dalkey, but they too were victorious with a 4-0 score line.
The visitors had a fine start to the game and took the lead after just six minutes from the boot of top scorer Matthew Cassidy.
Captain for the day Ryan Penny was forced off shortly afterwards as the heat from the sun, mixed with his recent return from holiday, took its toll on him – resulting in the team having to play with eight players for the last 15 minutes.
They didn’t let that affect them, however, and stepped up their game during the second half. Two goals from Zaim Memisevic and another from Cassidy secured the win that allowed the Saints to return to winning ways.

Related Articles