Lynch mobbed in Major win

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

SEVEN goals, a late red card, and an injury time winner from the manager were just some of the talking points as Skerries Town produced an amazing comeback from 3-0 down to defeat St Mochta’s 4-3 in the LSL Major 1C Saturday.
The Fingal side also gave their survival hopes a shot in the arm, while putting a spanner in the works of their opponents’ title quest.
The previously unbeaten St Mochta’s side took a three nil lead into the half-time break but Skerries produced a scarcely believable comeback, including a 95th minute winner, to secure their third win in the league this season.
The visitors took the lead after just seven minutes when Glen O’Donnell produced an excellent finish, before Dylan Sweeney doubled their advantage shortly afterwards.
It only got worse for Skerries on 17 minutes when a simple back pass bobbled over keeper Ian Tolan’s foot and into the net for 3-0, leaving the tie looking dead as a competition.
St Mochta’s had several chances to increase the score line further before half time but they were wasteful, and were in fact lucky not to concede a goal themselves.
Skerries made changes at the break as they looked to find some way back into the match, and it proved successful.
They had Mochta’s pinned into their own half and pulled their first goal back on the hour mark when Farrell brothers Seamus and Kevin combined to put the ball in the back of the net via the head of the latter.
A little over 10 minutes later and it was game on when Skerries broke from a Mochta’s corner and Barry Davey’s shot looped over the keeper and into the net.
Skerries weren’t finished there, however, and drew level through an excellent free kick from Seamus Farrell two minutes later – an excellent strike that went in off the post.
Mochta’s were rocked but managed to pull their heads together and try to re-establish their dominance that was so prevalent in the first half. They went close on a couple of occasions and seemed to be provided a boost when Graham O’Flaherty was sent off for Skerries in the 94th minute.
Skerries manager Sean Lynch decided he had seen enough so put himself up top. It proved an inspired move when he broke through the St Mochta’s defence and finished with aplomb to secure all three points for his side.
The result saw Skerries move off from the bottom of the table and now turn their attention to their remaining seven games as they look to complete a great escape, while St Mochta’s drop eight points behind league leaders Rush Athletic but with a game in hand.

Related Articles