Lucan Sarsfields 4-14 – Faughs 1-4
BY Seaghan Ó Lanagáin
Lucan Sarsfields booked a final date with Kilmacud Crokes thanks to a comprehensive win over Faughs at the 12th Lock.
From the outset, in ideal conditions, Sarsfields went on the offensive and with the help of a goal from veteran full forward Emer Keenan, Lucan lead by 1-3 to no score at the first water break.
Faughs tried valiantly with Holly Finnegan and Isabella Costelloe showing up well, but the Sarsfields defence was steadfast , where and Orla Beagan and Laura Sharkey were excellent.
But then a somewhat fortuitous goal for Faughs left the half-time score at 2-5 to 1-1.
Sarsfields started the second half in flying form, with Avril Quinn giving a stellar performance and with Amy Gorman giving her usual confident display in goal, they repelled the best efforts of the Faughs attack.
Amber Finnegan did her utmost in defence for Faughs and with her top-class free-taking endeavoured to bring her forward colleagues more into the game.
However, the other Lucan defenders, Sinead O’Toole, Aoife Byrne and Rachel Leonard generally kept them in check and at the second water break Lucan led by 3-8 to 1-2.
The introduction of Michelle Kelly at full forward for Lucan had paid immediate dividends and with excellent interplay with the strong-running Jess McClelland she raised two green flags.
Claire Rigney and Chloe O’Connor also showed up well and contributed to the outright success. Cara O’Shea, in goal for Faughs, denied the Lucan forwards on a number of occasions and Meaghan Rock, Jess Murphy and Saoirse Mallin also strived hard but it was not to be their day.
Michelle Kelly of Lucan Sarsfields in action against Megan Lewis of Faughs in last Sunday’s Dublin Camogie Senior 1 Shield semi-final. Photo: iLivephotos.com
- Introducing Bellamianta’s 4-in-1 makeup brush – your new beauty ally!
- “Balbriggan Stockings, Old Masters and the Bells of Howth” at the Bracken Court on Weds next, 8pm
- Photography a great release – see what St Brigid’s Group has to offer, exhibition now at Blanchardstown Library
- Keep our children safe: state bodies unite to launch National Children First Awareness Week
- Fingal businesses and community groups called to try out new eCargo bikes!