Knock’s magical start propels four-star run to Redmond final

by Gazette Reporter

U-16 Redmond Cup semi-final
Castleknock Celtic 4
Terenure Rangers 2

CASTLEKNOCK Celtic’s Under-16B reached the final of the Redmond Cup final as they got the best of Terenure Rangers at Porterstown Park.

Celtic got off to a flyer of a start. They went 1-0 up after five minutes from Danny O’Mahony’s corner when Mark O’Connor swivelled and shot home from close range.

Soon it was 2-0 when Ryan McCormick shot home into the bottom corner.

Celtic had numerous shots that were just wide of the post or excellently stopped by the Terenure keeper Adam Lacey before stretching their lead out to three.

McCormick raced in from the left and he despatched the ball to the net from a tight angle with less than 20 minutes on the clock.

Full credit to Terenure as they continued to battle and got their reward a couple of minutes later when the Terenure number 11, Matt Vaughan, smashed home a shot from 12 yards that gave Sabin Ghet no chance.

Vaughan then thundered a shot against the crossbar but he made no mistake five minutes before the break to make it 3-2.

Celtic knew they had a real challenge given that they had suffered defeat away to Terenure in the league.

After the interval, Ghet, who has now qualified for his fourth cup final with Celtic, had to be at his best to prevent the equaliser, helped by a solid defence in front of him led by the man of the match, Alex Conroy, with Liam Hosford excellent at full back.

Finn Woodger capped a superb performance with a terrific run on the right before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the far corner.

Terenure continued to threaten and their no. 9 Mark Buckley was just over the bar with his header. Celtic managed to see out the game which sealed a 4-2 victory and a place in the final against Transport Trust.

Elsewhere in the DDSL U-16 Premier Nilfix Cup, Celtic went behind after seven minutes with a header from corner kick to Home Farm who dominated in those early stages helped by a strong wind.

After the interval, Celtic had much of the play. With 15 minutes remaining, they went to three at the back with the introduction of an extra striker to try and rescue the game.

Klevis Malaj was now seeing more of the ball up front and he scored the equaliser with a shot from the edge of the box into the bottom corner.

He had a chance to win it with a header but it went just wide which took the game to extra time.

There, Celtic dominated the extra time and duly finished off the game with a super strike from Malaj to seal Celtic’s place in the final in late June.

Related Articles