SENIOR FOOTBALL: Second-Half brace fires Crokes home

by Aaron Dunne
0 comment

Kilmacud Crokes 2-18


Two second-half goals saw Kilmacud Crokes ease to a 2-18 to 1-12 victory over Castleknock in their Go-Ahead Dublin SFC1 Group 2 duel in Parnell Park on Sunday afternoon.

Castleknock concluded the opening half with a Rob Shaw goal, finishing coolly to the net, and a Ger McDermottroe free from 45 metres to trail by just 0-12 to 1-6 at the break.

However, Crokes restarted with intent. Andy McGowan fired over at the end of a long sequence of possession and then in the 33rd minute the Stillorgan men punished a Castleknock kick-out with Hugh Kenny making no mistake to goal from close range.

This gave Crokes a seven-point cushion, 1-13 to 1-6, and despite their best efforts Castleknock didn’t get within five points of the southsiders.

Read more in this weeks Dublin Gazette out in stores now

Tom Fox came very much to the fore in the second half when kicking three points from play to add to his two during the first half. 

He was also their second goal scorer when Craig Dias directed the ball from an Anthony Quinn delivery in Fox’s path and he side-stepped keeper Morven Connolly to finish to the net in the 50th minute to push his side 2-16 to 1-10 clear.

Fox brought his personal tally to 1-5, all from play, with a point following an incisive run from Cian O’Connor .

Rob Shaw’s well-taken goal raised Castleknock’s spirits and was followed by a long-range from from Ger McDermottroe to leave six points between the sides at the half-time interval.

In Sunday’s other Go-Ahead Dublin SFC1 game, St Vincent’s beat Ballinteer St John’s 1-17 to 2-10 in Group 2 at O’Toole Park and at the same venue in Group 4 St Jude’s and Lucan Sarsfields drew 1-14 each. each.

PHOTO – Castleknock’s Ciaran Kilkenny in action during his side’s opening round defeat to 
Kilmacud Crokes in the Go Ahead Senior Football Championship. Photo: Niall O’Connell

Click on link to read more in this weeks Digital Edition

Related Articles