lFA Leinster Junior Cup: Dramatic win for north Dub side

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

By Jonny Stapleton

[email protected]

Kilbarrack United were singing in the rain, wind, and hail on Sunday as they registered one of the standout victories of the Leinster Junior Cup in dramatic fashion. 

The Major 1C Saturday side travelled to Kilkenny where they eventually overcame KDL top-flight side Thomastown to reach the provincial quarter-finals.

After a 120 minutes of entertaining the large support didn’t bemoan the inclement weather, penalties were needed.

The stage was set for a hero to step into the spotlight and Keith Donoghue did just that, the netminder saved Thomastown’s third penalty allowing James and Sean Cummiskey to score penos four and five and send United through.

The northside outfit took the lead through Sean Cummiskey and held a goal advantage at the break. The fancied Kilkenny side leveled after the turn and extra time followed as a result.    

Thomastown then took progression pole as they went ahead thanks to a sensational effort in the first half of extra time. However, the Kilbarrack Saturday side were not done just yet. Josh McKenna got due reward for his all-action display when he leveled to force penalties.

Considering their Sunday side have graced finals and played in some of the cup competitions most famous games when their Sheriff rivalry was at its peak, Kilbarrack have a solid history in the cup. 

However, Sunday’s win could be up there as one of their greatest LJC victories, as it was their Saturday side beating a Leinster football big gun in nail-biting fashion.

There was no such joy for Trinity Donaghmede against Marble County opponents, as they bowed out of the competition after defeat to Evergreen on the same day.

After a closely contested first half the Premier Sunday champions took the lead via Kevin Dunne but the visitors fought back, before eventually getting their noses in front to lessen the Dublin representation in the LFA tournament.

LSL Major 1A side Beechwood were denied the chance of upsetting the other Kilkenny name in the contest, as their clash with Freebooters was called off after a pitch inspection.

It was the quality of the reigning champions rather than the referee or the weather that prevented Kilnamanagh’s Saturday side from securing a big win. 

The Tallaght outfit lost 2-0 at home to the star-studded Wexford side on Saturday.

 The team deemed most capable of stopping North End from making it back-to-back wins in the cup competition, Oliver Bond needed another late strike to help them reach the quarter-final.

A week after an extra-time winner saw Bond progress to the quarters of the FAI Junior Cup a 95th-minute leveler against a strong Tolka Rovers Saturday side kept their LJC hopes alive.

The Major Sunday league leaders went behind to a Dean Brady penalty and had to wait until the 95th minute to square things up before enjoying penalty success of their won, winning 4-2 in spot-kicks.  

The UCFL’s last team standing eventually fell as Harding IF FC were beaten 4-0 by Carlow side New Oak Boys, while  Rosemount Mulvey FC’s clash with Trim Celtic was called off. 

Click on link to read more in this weeks Digital Edition

Related Articles