Kilbarrack just three away from unbeaten campaign

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

jonny stapleton

[email protected]

Kilbarrack United are just three positive results away from the only Intermediate level invincible season after another impressive win last weekend. 

The LSL Senior 1A put four past Tullamore away from home to keep their noses in front in a tight third-tier title race and move to within touching distance of an unbeaten league campaign.

Four first-half goals secured them a 19th league win of the season on April Fool’s Day.

Aaron Humphries, Eamon Mulligan, underage graduate Deiric Hyland, and evergreen midfield talent Dean Gibbons scored a goal each before 45 minutes had passed.  

The league leaders didn’t add to their tally after the turnaround, but with a goal difference of plus 64 will be content with the three points.

All Ross Carrig’s charges need to do to finish the season with their duck egg intact is to avoid defeat in their three 

remaining games, starting with a tricky away trip to Swords on Friday night.

The fact FAI Intermediate Cup semi finalists St Francis are just four points behind means the Northside outfit’s focus will be on lifting silverware rather than the unique accolade.

Indeed, United still have to welcome the Saints, who beat fellow Clondalkin side Dublin Bus by a Ryan Coombes goal to nil on Sunday, to Greendale before the season is out.

It could go to the wire and a scenario could play out that sees the former AUL standouts finish the season unbeaten runners up.

Another title race flirting with going to the wire is Senior Sunday. Crumlin United kept their noses in front of the top-flight title tussle with a come from behind win over Wayside Celtic.

The Armagh Road outfit went behind after 20 minutes but 

Canisius College Hall of Fame inductee and former FAI Intermediate Player of the Year Alan McGreal (right) leveled before the break.

Then just as Malahide, St Mochta’s and Killester Donnycarney were getting ready to celebrate the leaders dropping points former pro Mark Byrne popped up with an 87th-minute winner.

Former Sunderland underage prospect Rob Dunne scored a treble as Killester prevented Bluebell United from making it seven wins on the trot on Sunday, keeping Crumlin within touching distance in the process.

Third-place St Mochta’s also had a hat trick hero help them to victory, although Gav Kearney’s treble came in the Metro Cup rather than the league.

The Porterstown side put five past Swords Celtic as they reached the quarters of the competition, Gareth McCaffery and Niall Barnes scoring the other goals. 

Stephen Conefrey was on the double for Liffey Wanderers in the same competition as the Pearse Street side beat Larkview by 3-0 in a game that was preceded by a minutes silence in memory of Johnny Roche.

Related Articles