Townley grabs brace for Kilbarrack while Home Farm stun St Mochta’s

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

Kilbarrack United painted the town light blue courtesy of Mark Townley last Sunday.

The club legend doubled down as the newly promoted outfit defeated Crumlin United in a rescheduled game at Armagh Road.

Gav Carroll’s well-taken free kick ensured the visitors were a goal ahead at the break and Ross Carrig’s men went to Town-ley for their goals in the second period.

The veteran frontman’s first was particularly standout as he used his pace to set off toward goal before lobbing the keeper from an 18-yard angle.

His second, which made sure of the result; was more poacher’s finish staying alive in the box, producing clever movement and finishing close range.

The brace moves the player, who only returned after four years away in 2021, to four goals this term, meaning the striker, who was always in contention for AUL Premier A Golden Boot when Kilbarrack and Sherrif made that league famous a decade ago, is joint top scorer in Senior Sunday at this early stage.

Another Townley was on the scoresheet for another newly promoted side on the same day.

Aaron Townley put Tolka Rovers ahead against Bluebell United but a Vasyl Tropanets finish made sure Rovers couldn’t follow up their mid-week win over Kilbarrack with another three points. The game ended a 1-1 draw.

Home Farm secured their first three points of the season in style under Friday night lights.

The side that battled relegation last season defeated reigning champions St Mochta’s by the odd goal in three.

Shane Lyons put Farm ahead with his third of the season before Matt McAntee doubled the lead very soon after.

Jake Donnelly pulled one back for the Saints with a sensational free-kick but the hosts held on to get their first win of the new term.

Despite not playing, Wayside Celtic still lead the Senior Sunday way, Kilbarrack United are in second ahead of Lucan United on goal difference with Mocthas in fourth and Tolka now up to fifth.

Related Articles