Round Tower got the best of Naomh Mearnog for a second season running at Monastery Road

ROUND Tower’s got their AFL division 2 campaign off to a great start on Sunday as they beat Naomh Mearnog by 1-9 to 0-10 at Monastery Road.
Tower’s opened the scoring after three minutes through a free from Thomas Galvin but the visitors levelled two minutes later.
With 10 minutes on the clock, Mearnog doubled their advantage by scoring two points in the space of a minute.
New addition Darragh Kinnevey got himself on the score sheet for Tower’s with an excellent score but Mearnog responded almost instantly with a point of their own.
They scored again a minute later and it took Tower’s 10 minutes to strike back through another free from Galvin.
Kinnevey followed that up with his second point but Mearnog were making a habit of responding to a Tower’s score in quick fashion – doing so again with 24 minutes gone.
Five minutes before half-time Gary Cleary made a great save in the Tower’s goal to deny Mearnog a goal, before Galvin notched another free to leave the scores at 0-5 to 0-6 going into the break.
Galvin scored a free two minutes after the restart but it looked like it was going to be another half of to and fro football when Mearnog responded four minutes later.
The visitors had another great chance to get the first goal of the game after 42 minutes but, yet again, they failed to take it and the sides were level a minute later when Galvin scored – yes, you guessed it, another free.
Ian Ward then slotted over an easy chance to give Tower’s the lead for the first time since the opening minutes of the game.
The lead wasn’t to last long but when the Mearnog keeper then dropped a ball on his line, Galvin reacted quickest to punch the ball into the back of the net for the vital intervention.
A Ward point sandwiched between two from Mearnog were the last scores of the game as Tower’s took advantage of ill-discipline from the opposition to secure a good win.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here