Four star Dubs start MFC in style

by Gazette Reporter

Leinster Minor Football Championship
Dublin 4-10
Meath 2-10

A solid second half display helped Dublin Minor Footballers get their Electric Ireland Leinster MFC off to a cracking start, in a highly entertaining contest at Parnell Park on Tuesday night.

Second half goals from Ballyboden St Enda’s clubman Ryan O’Dwyer and substitute Luke Swan proved key for the hosts, against a Meath side who claimed provincial success last Summer.

A goal from defender Aaron Chinchilla got Meath off to a perfect start inside the opening minute.

O’Dwyer opened Dublin’s account in the third minute free, and although this was quickly cancelled out by Niall Finnerty, it wasn’t long before the hosts found the net.

Seán Kinsella caused a lapse in the Meath rear-guard, before the Fingal Ravens clubman levelled the tie at 1-1 apiece after four minutes.

This was exciting, open and entertaining football throughout; not punctuated by blanket defences or cyncial tactics, and it was a joy to watch.

O’Dwyer put Dublin ahead, after a good burst forward by David O’Dowd, before Barry Thompson equalised, but Meath failed to make the most of their chances after this.

Alex Rogers put Dublin back ahead, before a 13th minute Robbie Bolger goal after a misdirected pass from Meath outfield, ensured a 2-3 to 1-2 lead.

Fionn Murray pushed Dublin into a double-scores lead entering the second quarter.

Niall Finnerty grabbed Meath’s first score in seven minutes and although this was cancelled out by a Murray free, Meath came good.

David Bell sent the Dubs net ringing with a fine effort, before Finnerty cut the gap to the minimum.

Thompson levelled, before Eoghan Frayne put the Royals ahead with a well struck free.

O’Dwyer and Dublin were eager for a goal, but Harry Corscadden marshalled well, before Kinsella levelled matters 2-6 apiece at the break.

Senan Forker ran at Meath’s defence from the throw-in, but Dean Plunk delivered a fine save, before points from Bell and Frayne helped Meath into a two-point lead.

A Murray misfired free off the upright, saw Dublin react quickest, with O’Dwyer on hand to fire home.

Dublin wouldn’t trail after this with Murray’s placed ball efforts and Swan’s goal prowess keeping them in front.

Meath kept in touch through the likes of Pearse Sheridan, but Dublin were more accurate, and not even the reintroduction of Evan Corrigan and Barry Thompson could help the Royals.

An away trip to Wexford is next up for Dublin on May 8th.

Related Articles