Fins soar up to senior

by Karl Graham

FINGALLIANS finished their season unbeaten to land the AFL Division 3 title with a 0-17 to 1-11 win over Garda at Lawless Park, returning to the senior ranks in style.
After coming agonisingly close last year, the Swords men will now finally make the return to senior football next season and stalwart Danny Campion believes achieving their goal by remaining unbeaten this time round makes it extra special.
“After the disappointment of getting so close last year only to fall at the last hurdle, winning the league outright with an unbeaten run this year was all the sweeter for the players, the management team and the club,” Campion told GazetteSport.
“To those looking in from the outside, it may seem like we were on cruise control all year long, winning many games by double figures. But I can tell you that the squad approached every one of those games with a ferocious mentality and we simply refused to be beaten.”
Campion puts his team’s success down to hard work and preparation they all put in and he thinks the return to senior football will do wonders for the club.
“As a young team, we still have plenty to learn from a tactical point of view. However, the preparation this year was outstanding in terms of training, strength and conditioning, planning and drive, and to see some of our younger players step up and take on a huge level of responsibility during the season promises great things to come next year in Division 2, and beyond.
“Fingallians is a huge force in the community and a giant of a club, so to regain our senior status in both league and championship in the last two years is a great source of pride for this particular team.
“Everyone involved deserves immense credit but we have only achieved the first part of our goal, and will be looking forward to another big season in 2018. For myself and some of the more experienced players on the team we have thoroughly enjoyed the journey in the red jersey this far.”
Against Garda, the opening period was a tight affair with Fingallians actually trailing by three points after 16 minutes. They managed to hit three points in that period but a goal for Garda was complimented by three points of their own.
Fingallians improved during the remainder of the half but still trailed by two going into the break with the scoreline sitting at 0-7 to 1-6.
The home side enjoyed a strong start to the second half and scored four points in the first 15 minutes to take a one-point lead.
Fins were now firmly on top and after splitting the posts six more times, compared to Garda’s three over the same period and they ran out comfortable winners.

Related Articles