Finglas float through in FAI Junior Cup

Finglas United floated into the second round of the FAI Junior Cup on cloud nine.

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

United’s Saturday side came just one shy of hitting double figures in the first round of the biggest [numerically] cup contest in European football.

Ross Buckely accounted for a third of the goals with a well-taken hat trick, while Collin Eccles and Lewis Caffery were on the double with James O’Donoghue and Dylan Graham also finding their way onto the score sheet as Finglas beat former winners Liffey Wanderers to progress in the Dublin Saturday section.

Aaron Brady was another cup hat trick hero, scoring trice for Tallaght United as they beat Clontarf without reply in an LSL versus AUL battle in the first round.

The goals were shared as St Francis’s Saturday side reached the next stage, Goals from  Leon O Brien, Rian Egan and Andrew Farrell saw them pip Pegasus St James Athletic in a seven-goal thriller.

Max Ryan hit two and Jamie Broderick registered the other as Cabinteely FC cashed in against Liffey Bank. Kevin Wall, David Murphy and Ste Nolan were goal scorers as UCFL side St Mary’s beat SVS in their first-round fixture.

Peter Donaghue was the hero for Balbriggan FC in the Sunday side of the draw, as they eventually got the job done against Jobstown.

The keeper saved two penalties before scoring the decisive fifth in a thrilling shootout. Luke Hempenstall was the man with the cape for Raheny United as he settled a classic cup tie with St Itas in the Northside outfit’s favour, finding the top corner in style from all of 20 yards late on.

Shaun Gonzalez and Stewey Cooling both found the net to leave it  a score draw at halftime. The sides traded efforts again in the second half this time Danny Corcoran and Alex McInroe scoring before Hempenstall won it in style.

 Mount Merrion went through The Gate to progress to Round 2, defeating James Gate 6-1 under lights.

LSL Premier Sunday side Monread scalped Leicester Celtic, a side that compete two divisions above them, thanks to an extra-time winner in their first-round clash.

The LSL sides were all square at 3-3 after 90 minutes before the home side claimed victory right at the death. Eoin Doyle and Dylan Barnby scored in another exciting cup clash with the most important contribution coming from two goal Man of the Match  Connor Woulfe.

Open draw regulars Crumlin United as well as strong Saturday sides in Tolka Rovers, Collinstown and Ballyfermot United all got byes into Round 2.

Elsewhere, A superb Denise O’Sullivan performance orchestrated another convincing Republic of Ireland victory in the UEFA Nations League as Eileen Gleeson’s team breezed to a 4-0 win against Hungary in Budapest.

Having started life after Vera Pauw with a 3-0 victory over Northern Ireland at the Aviva Stadium last Saturday, the Girls in Green followed it up with a confident display.

Goals from the foot-perfect Caitlin Hayes, Katie McCabe, Kyra Carusa and O’Sullivan put a hard-working but limited Hungary to the sword.

With six points on the board, seven goals scored and none conceded, they next face the group’s lowest seeded side, Albania, in an October double-header.

Related Articles