Malahide have produced a season of results beyond all initial targets. Picture: Will Davis

MALAHIDE Rugby Club have created another piece of history for themselves by gaining promotion to the Ulster Bank League for the first time after an excellent season courtesy of a bonus point win over Clonmel last weekend.
The Fingal side were only promoted to the Leinster league division 1A last year but took it in their stride as they added some All-Ireland league experience to the squad that saw them win 13 of their 14 league games in the province.
They subsequently advanced to the provincial round-robin championship alongside fellow provincial winners Ballina, Omagh and Clonmel to battle for a place in the national leagues
They recorded a bonus point win away to Omagh before following that up with the 34-9 defeat of Clonmel in Malahide last weekend. They still have to travel to Ballina next week but their points tally of 10 means they can no longer be overtaken.
Malahide initially started the season with a target of top four but it was evident after the first couple of games that they would be serious title contenders. As it happened, they blew away most of the sides they came up against, with only third placed De La Salle Palmerston FC able to get the better of them.
There could be more success for the club tonight when the Malahide junior team take on De La Salle Palmerston FC in the final at Coolmine Rugby Club, hoping to land their second Spencer cup in three years.
Meanwhile, Malahide are not the only club in Fingal to enjoy an exceptional season as the Skerries RFC junior team get set to take part in their first Bank of Ireland provincials town final in ten years. They go up against Tullow in Athy on Easter Sunday and will be hoping to leave Kildare with the cup for the first time since the club won it four times during the 1970s.
They reached the final after defeating reigning champions Wicklow 23-11 at Cill Dara RFC last weekend. Wicklow started that game brightly by putting pressure on their opponents and were rewarded with a penalty after six minutes that was kicked between the posts by Niall Earls.
It took a while for Skerries to settle into the game but they drew level with a penalty of their own from Billy Mulcahy after 17 minutes.
Dave Goodman crossed the line for the first try of the game and Mulcahy added the conversion, before another penalty for the latter left the score line at 13-3 going into the break.
Wicklow were not looking like the side who had raced to the Leinster League division 1B title and Skerries took advantage as they followed up an exchange of penalties with Goodman’s second try of the game.
Mulcahy kicked the conversion to make it 23-6 before Wicklow grabbed a consolation late on.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here