FAI Junior Cup: Tolka, Ballymun & Crumlin go marching on

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

Oliver Bond Celtic 1

Carbury FC (Sligo)0

By Jonny Stapleton

[email protected]

CIARÁN Walsh hit a sensational extra-time winner as Oliver Bond overcame Sligo and Leitrim double winners Carbury FC to progress to the last 16 of the FAI Junior Cup on Sunday.

The cup hero settled a titanic East versus West battle with a last gasp 30-yard bolter, as last season’s beaten semi-finalists took the most dramatic route into the next round of all the four Dublin sides that managed to progress.

The well-supported club have made no secret about their desire to win the biggest cup competition in European football before they upgrade to the Intermediate ranks next year.

After over 120 minutes of football in Brickfields on Sunday, it looked like their hopes of achieving that would come down to the lottery that is penalties.

However, Walsh ensured they hit the jackpot early with a brilliant effort from range to put the highest-ranked LSL within one win of the quarter-finals.  

Goal scoring hero for Ballymun United was Karl O’Reilly as ‘The Mun’s’ Saturday side’s impressive cup run continued.

Regular goal getter O’Reilly hit a brace for the second tier Saturday as  they beat Clare District League’s Ennis Town to progress.

United’s fellow LSL Saturday side Tolka Rovers also beat country opposition to progress whilst highlighting the strength within the LSL second-string sides. 

Rovers defeated one of the oldest and most successful junior clubs in Cork, Grattan United at John Hyland Park on Saturday.  Dennis Kinlan scored either side of a John Humphries strike in a 3-1 win.

The side Tolka battle with for ‘best Saturday side in Ireland’ status, Crumlin United returned to the latter stages of the competition with an impressive win over Wexford opponents.

Read more in this weeks Dublin Gazette out in stores now

The Pearse Park side were not so welcoming to former Wexford Premier League Champions Moyne Rangers and put three past the Enniscorthy outfit to move a step a long the road to the Aviva.  

Part of the famous Crumlin United side that won back-to-back Intermediate Cups in 2009 and 2010 Tony Griffiths scored the opening goal as early as the fifth minute of this FAI Junior encouther.

The Major Saturday league leaders finally got breathing room with 20 minutes remaining when Paddy Steacy doubled the lead before Jordan O’Neill finished late on to make sure.

There was no such joy for the likes of Yellowstone Booth Road and Aungier Celtic, who all exited stage left after weekend defeats.

In fairness to all three, they came up against some junior football powerhouses in St Michaels, North End United and Avenue United.

Booth Road had it particularly tough away to former winners and reigning Leinster Junior Cup champs North End.

The Clondalkin side, who regularly punch above their weight in the competition, gave a good account of themselves but ultimately lost 2-0. 

Yellowstone lost by the exact same score at home, as they were beaten by regular Clare District League champions Avenue, while Tipperary giants St Michael’s also put two past Aungier Celtic without reply.

Click on link to read more in this weeks Digital Edition

Related Articles