fai intermediate cup: big derby win for united

Hyland and Kelly combine to stun favourites Killester

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

Kilbarrack United’s young guns had the scalping knife out last weekend.

United registered one of the upsets of the FAI Intermediate Cup round of 16 on Friday last, knocking out tournament favourites Killester Donnycarney and doing so in style.

The Senior Sunday 1 league leaders put four past the Senior Sunday side with underage starlets turned serious senior talents Jack Kelly and Deiric Hyland both delighting in doubles.

Ross Carrig’s second tier side, who went 40 league games unbeaten last weekend, move into the quarter finals and do so as one to watch after beating top flight opponents in such fashion.

Kilbarrack broke the deadline on 16 minutes when Hyland pinched the ball around half way, set off toward the box before playing in Kelly who finished well.

Hyland, who has scored in every league game he has played in this season, brought his net-finding form into the cup and getting his name on the score sheet before the break. 

The Irish amateur International put the hosts in progression pole fby curling home a free kick from 25 yards on 43 minutes.

Killester were back within one seven minutes after the restart as Rob Dunne converted calmly from the spot. However, Kelly restored the cushion with a fine individual goal 15 minutes later.  

The livewire attacker collected the ball mid-way into opposition territory and set off toward goal, twisted and turned an opposition defender before drilling low into the bottom corner.

Hyland (inset), who scored an extra-time double in the last round, then made sure of the cup upset when he finished close range after the Killester net minder denied Kelly a hat-trick.

Meanwhile, another Senior 1 side enjoying a run, Skerries Town took a more dramatic route to the quarters.

The side that knocked out last year’s finalist Bluebell in the first round came from behind to eventually beat Portlaoise in extra time.

Bob McKenna, a former League of Ireland player with Dundalk, grabbed the winner in the first period of extra time after teenager James Kimmage had equalized directly from a corner.

Related Articles