Dunne deal as Celtic the kings of the Castle

by Gazette Reporter

LSL Lummy O’Reilly Cup final 

Castleknock Celtic 3 — Templeogue Utd 1 

Castleknock Celtic defied the LSL hierarchy as they stormed to the prestigious Lummy O’Reilly Cup title, beating Templeogue United a full division above them on the ladder. 

But the Porterstown club have been upsetting the odds throughout this cup run, notably seeing off St Francis – who earned promotion from LSL Sunday Senior 1A – 2-1 in the semi-final. 

Early on, Templeogue showed more promise and their higher division status was apparent, with a number of threatening attacks.  

Celtic, however, started to show that they are dangerous opponents, and their passing game from back to front came to the fore.  

They broke on the right, Chris Whelan using his body strength to hold off a challenge. He laid the ball off for Celtic’s winger Davy Costello who jinked by the Templeogue midfield before threading an incisive pass to Niall Conran whose speed enabled him to get a brilliant shot away and past the excellent diving keeper, Daire Hancock. 

The second half was an open affair with both sides attacking at every opportunity. Deploying contrasting styles, Celtic’s passing game was in anteposition to the more direct route of Templeogue.  

It was Celtic who were to draw first blood after the break. This time it was Cillian Daly who took possession 25 yards out, he picked out Shane Dunne who was having an excellent game on the left side.  

The full back crossed into the box for Whelan who managed to get a head on it. Dunne followed his cross in and rose high to head fiercely past the helpless Hancock.
It capped a fine performance by Dunne who is one of the most improved players in the team this season; 2-0 to Celtic. 

Templeogue were not throwing in the towel however. Not unlike Celtic’s goal, it was a good pass through that Templeogue’s captain, John Ward, latched onto and dinked the ball over keeper Paddy Dunne who had been in commanding form.  

Templeogue had now stepped up a gear, and a header and a shot in quick succession had almost drawn them level. This was a shaky period for Celtic, but the introduction of Cormac Suen was to prove decisive. 

Breaking up a United attack, Daniel Germaine swept across and launched a long ball to the left hand side. Dylan Malone found the raiding Dunne in the inside forward position, working the ball on to Suen who blasted a sizzler past the diving Hancock. 

Related Articles