Con O’Callaghan scored 2-4 as Cuala reach last eight of Dublin senior football championship.

CUALA reached the last eight of the Dublin senior football championship, coming out on top of a high-scoring game with St Maur’s 3-16 to 3-11 at O’Toole Park.
Cuala haven’t enjoyed much success in the competition in recent years, bowing out in the first round for the last four years since promotion.
But, buoyed by an opening round win over Raheny, they bounced back from the concession of Conor McGuire and Ciaran Reddin goals and a David McGuinness three-pointer from the penalty line to give the Rush side a deserved lead going into the break.
However, talismanic dual star Con O’Callaghan was found in fine form once again and he helped his side to a second half comeback with a personal tally of 2-4.
Cuala set about getting themselves back into the game straight from the restart and had already notched 1-4 within five minutes. The goal came from Luke Keating after he directed Mark Schutte’s effort into the back of the net.
The Dalkey side kept up that momentum throughout the second half and eventually struck up a big lead of their own – one that proved too big for St Maurs to claw back.
Cuala will be joined in the draw for the next round by Kilmacud Crokes after they eventually got past a hard-working Parnells side at Blakestown Road.
The teams may be separated by two divisions, but the gap on the night was only three points as Crokes progressed thanks to a 0-15 to 1-9 victory.
Parnells started the game brightly and scored an early goal through Pearse O’Hanlon. Stephen Duffy followed that up with a point for the Coolock side but Paul Mannion, Pat Duggan and Conor Kelly all pointed to draw the sides level.
Parnells scored again but Mark Vaughan then reeled off three unanswered scores to give Crokes a two point lead going into the break.
Crokes stepped up their game after the restart and eventually won after kicking five points in succession.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here