Dublin Bus stun Bluebell in pick of big Metro Cup upsets

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

Crumlin United were put to the sword by Swords Celtic and Bluebell United crashed out after defeat to Dublin Bus on a weekend of Metropolitian Cup upsets.

Two of the top-tier sides were scalped by divisionally inferior foes in the cup competition.

Swords were the talk of the round on a busy Friday as they knocked out LSL Senior Sunday title hopefuls Crumlin United.

A single goal was enough for the Senior 1A promotion placed side to surprise James Lee’s men. A side-footed volley that went in off the bar via the boot Chris Gough gave Celtic a massive win.  

Swords were not the only side with the scalping knife out as Dublin Bus also knocked out a top-flight side.

The Senior Sunday 1A  Coldcut based club accounted for near neighbours Bluebell United at the Red Cow on Sunday. Goals from Dylan Moore and Dylan Byrne put The Bus in the driving seat and even a late ‘Bell free kick couldn’t knock the 2017 winners off course for round 3.

One Senior Sunday side who didn’t have trouble progressing past the second round was Liffey Wanderers, thanks in particular to the brilliance of Sean Noble (inset).

The former LOI and Irish League player hit a hat-trick as the Pearse Street side beat Hartstown Huntstown by scoring four without replay.

Ciaran Grogan headed home the opener before Noble tapped home an Eoghan Roe cross to increase the cushion to two before the break.

Noble then benefited from some fine Sean Dowling vision to make it three and proceeded to wrap up his hat trick with a brilliant overhead kick.  

Fellow top-flight side Kilnamanagh also progressed with ease stepping over the potential banana skln that was Kilbarrack United. 

The Rocket’s fired home three goals and kept a clean sheet as they enjoyed a break from league troubles.

Usher Celtic managed an upset of sorts, the Intermediate new boys and Senior Sunday 1B side knocked out 1A mid table side Ardmore Rovers.

Calvin Douglas and Gareth Kilkenny were both on the double for last season beaten FAI Junior Cup finalists in a four-goal to nil win.

St Patrick’s CY were another side to progress with relative ease as they produced a five-star five goal performance away to Tullamore.

Home Farm were just one shy of that scoreline putting four past Greystones as they strolled into the third round. Goals from Prizemam, Murtagh and double from McAntee saw them progress.

Senior 1 title challengers Lucan United and Glebe North were two more teams to put their names in the hat for round 3.

Jamie Doyle, Gary Seery and Anto Kavanagh were all on the scoresheet for United as they beat Rush Athletic at home while Glebe defeated Senior 1B promotion pushers Castleknock Celtic 2-1.

Daire Hancock was the hero for Templeogue United as they too were pushed by 1B opposition. The Keeper was on hand to save two penalties come shootout time in a win over Dunboyne. 

Related Articles